Any reason I shouldn't buy a D600?

Now I gotta figure out a new walking lens for it.

In your original post you mention the Sigma 24-70... the HSM version is pretty much garbage, but I have the original EX/DG/Macro whatever non-HSM version which I bought despite the HSM being available. There are several test sites that document the sharpness of this lens against the new version, and at the borders it is substantially better. For $400-450, I don't think you can find a better budget full frame walkaround lens (at least with a decent aperture). It's AF is just as fast as an ultrasonic/hypersonic/silentwave lens, no major abberations, distortion is very low even at 24mm and non-existent the rest of the range, and takes 82mm filters (which some people hate, but I personally have several filters that size and use step up rings on any lens that isn't 82mm). My only major complaint so far is that the contrast and corner sharpness drops noticeably at 70mm f/2.8, long end. I notice this from taking portraits, but I'm also on the D800 so I will notice issues like that slightly more than you would on a D600/610.

The 24-85mm VR has terrible distortion throughout the range and fairly weak border performance, the 24-120mm is expensive and not much better, and older lenses like the 24-85 2.8-4.0 or 28-105 have good reputation but can be kind of rough due to age and the people that have nice copies of those don't want to sell them.

If you don't need a wide range, consider the Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8... I've also heard really great things about the Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 being an Angenieux design, but I haven't used one. I may pick one up and compare it to my Sigma and keep whichever turns out better, I'm really missing that 70mm f/2.8 for portraits, I use my 105mm instead and it's sometimes too tight. The 35-70mm may force you to buy a dedicated wide-angle in the future, but that's not a bad thing and you'll eventually want something like the 16-35VR or 14-24 anyway (or some competitor like the Sigma 15-30 or 12-24, Tokina 16-28) to go wider than 24/28mm of standard zooms anyway.

And my final thoughts, as a friend of mine is currently planning this same purchase but having a rough time finding a lens while he saves for the 24-70mm Nikkor... just get a 50mm f/1.8G. That lens has such ridiculous sharpness and quality, can be used for SO MUCH on a full frame, and helps really get you "down in the dirt" taking pictures and experimenting with angles and composition while limited by focal range. I'll admit, my 24-70 makes me lazy. For something I can't mess up I take it, but for fun I really like to take a 50, or borrow a 35 or 85 and shoot prime for a day. I feel it really helps me artistically. Plus, they are crazy inexpensive and you can save towards a lens you really really want.

Oops, I skipped a page by accident. In response to the Sigma 24-105mm f/4... I'm very excited about that. I want to stay f/2.8, but if the optics perform as well as I'm hoping I may sell my 24-70 and pick one of those up. If you can swing it, I'm sure it will be a great lens, or it better be considered it's been delayed and unreleased for a pretty long time while they get it perfect.

EDIT: Check out this review, here's the sharpness page: http://www.lenstip.com/389.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM_Image_resolution.html

It pretty much kicks ass.

Just arrived. 3166 clicks.

Now I gotta learn this bad boy.
Ship it to me and I'll write you a quite instruction manual
after about 100,000 clicks :)

Rofl, the one it came with is quite large enough.

I really prefer the controls of this camera over the d40, d3100, and d5100 I've owned before it. It's so much easier to use the thumb/finger dials plus a function button to change settings. It really beats hitting "i" then navigating through the options, clicking okay on the one you want to change, changing it, then clicking okay again.

The low-light performance of the sensor is really as good as they say, I took a bunch of test shots around the house at above 3200iso and I'd say it matches the noise level of the d5100 at 800iso.

I LOVE the viewfinder.

Here's a shot I took of my niece as I was just fooling with HSS. Really neat to be able to use the flash all the way up to 1/4000.

Happy Julia by The Braineack, on Flickr

Good picture of your niece. Which shutter speed/f-stop/flash were used?

Just looked at the EXIF on your photo, pretty cool with the HSS, open aperture, and 500 ISO. How was your SB-700 mounted on the camera?

Last edited:
Good picture of your niece. Which shutter speed/f-stop/flash were used?

Just looked at the EXIF on your photo, pretty cool with the HSS, open aperture, and 500 ISO. How was your SB-700 mounted on the camera?

Yeah 1/400 iirc. Flash was on camera and bounced off the ceiling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back