Any tips on how to improve this photo...(beginner question)

KonicaKyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
PICT5563.jpg

Taken using a Konica KD500-Z with macro on

I can get the leaf at the top in perfect focus, but the ones either side are out of focus... is this because they are at different heights and it's impossible to get all three focused perfectly??

Would i be better holding the camera further back, and zooming in, rather than going in close with just macro on?

I'm probably expecting you all to say that it's my camera, and yes, I acknowledge that it's no world beater, and maybe i'm asking too much from it?

Thanks for any help! :)

(EDIT: sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

mysteryscribe said:
so how did you fix it im curious as heck

I meant i'd fixed the dead link to the photo :p

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try taking it again !

well - id say, decrease the aperture (higher f/stop) to increase your depth of field. This way the focus will spread more evenly. If you push the fstop to the minimum (largest number) the leaves and background will be in focus as well.

The lower the number (larger aperture) the shorter the depth of field will be so you get a blurred background or forground (depending on how you focus :))

hope that helps!

It is important to realize that when shooting macro, DOF (depth of field) is very shallow no matter what. A high number f-stop (small hole) will increase DOF, but when you're really close to your subject, it will not increase it all that much. And it requires much more light, so exposure times go up. Are you using 'automatic' settings on your camera now? If so, you might try taking manual control and choosing a higher number f-stop.

I might also suggest that you consider your composition - dead center can work, but often it does not. Have you heard of the 'Rule of Thirds'?

Most reactions

Back