Any tips/suggestions?

Nolan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The other day i bought a zippo lighter, which happens to be very photogenic. Just for fun with my nikon d90 i want to do a photo shoot for it. But i havnt shot anything like this before because i prefer nature photography. So do you have any suggestions/tips that are not obvious that will make my photos turn out far better?

Thanks for the help!

Are you going to do product type shots? Do you have lighting? How were you planning to shoot the Zippo? Is it the shiny type or is it painted?

Try laying the lighter down on a flat surface, at a slight angle to the camera, and then set the lens to 18mm and get as close to it as you can,and shoot some photos that emphasize the distortion the lens will create when shot from minimum focus distance.

Another one might be to light the lighter,and then set the flash to second curtain synchronization,and shoot a photo at a very slow speed like 1/3 second, with the flash dialed down to -1.0 stop,and smoothly pan (swing) the camera as the exposure is made. This will create a trailing blur of the chrome lighter and the flame,and when the flash goes off, you'll have a sharp,crisp image at the end of the exposure. This requires a delicate balancing act between ambient light exposure (the 1/3 second at say f/8) and the flash exposure and the degree of flash compensation you have dialed in.

Are you going to do product type shots? Do you have lighting? How were you planning to shoot the Zippo? Is it the shiny type or is it painted?

The idea was to go for a product shot. I dont have any lighting besides the flash on my d90 unfortunately. And lastly its all chrome, no paint.

So any ideas?

You could get some clamp lights and flourescent bulbs, and a large piece of white posterboard for a seamless backdrop... This is what I did last year, it was somewhat crude but took "ok" pictures, here is an example, though not anything special it gives you an idea of what you could do with a small setup:

486003121_sFPHV-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back