Any weather watcher here?

Borad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am also a Skywarn weather watcher as well...;)

I was wondering if anyone else is a weather watcher. I was considering getting trained and trying it after I get a decent camera, though I don't think a camera is required. I read that it's dangerous but I also read you can be as active as you choose so I think it doesn't has to be. It's different from a storm chaser.

I watch it all the time, my cameras are not weather sealed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I do astronomy regularly so I keep a pretty close eye on what the local weather is doing and on the forecast.

Pretty much all DSLR cameras fit together good enough to be considered weather sealed.
Just don't confuse weather sealed with weather proof.
But pretty much all DSLRs will tolerate a surprising amount of rain.

I watch weather as well and have my own weather station and I often report my findings/data to some friends of mine that are meteorologist for local news channels.

But for most part..not much happens weather wise in Vermont, so MOST of the time I am just sending in photos and they often put them on the air.

If we do get some kind of severe weather outbreak that is abnormal for my area..I will even go on a bit of a storm chase shooting video and photos. But it rarely happens and when it does most of the time its way in southern Vermont and I'm way up north.

There's some gov't website out there (I've long forgotten what it is, local, state, fed .. no clue) that let's people who track the weather also upload pictures of cloud formations, etc.

But I've never really liked my cloud pictures. I do like time lapse photos of the weather though, much more descriptive than a one snap photo.
I thought about doing it, but figured it would get as used as my long defunct Amateur Radio license.

Heh, I had to share some of mine.

Erwin-110706-6102.jpg
Erwin-120516-4374.jpg
Erwin-120608-0406.jpg

Time lapse of a Roll Cloud just in front of the storm. No parent cloud to be a Shelf Cloud.

No but one of my dogs is. She always watches the weather as she hates thunder.

Having lived a good portion of my life in Tornado Alley we call weather watchers the Next Estate Sale to check out.

The only times I ever had to be a weather watcher was when I was in Patrol and as first responders we were sent to locations to be tornado spotters. That was 30 + years ago and Dopler Radar has made that a thing of the past.

When I get back from vacation if this thread is still alive I will see if I can't find a couple of photos of my patrol car with dents the size of cantaloupes and holes in the windshields the size of the softball hail that came through. I only received a few nicks and bruises. A beat buddy got a broken arm from a softball size hail stone that came through is drivers window.

Yep I look out my window and if it's not raining I'm out and shooting then from there i just watch for lighting changes.

Back when I was working for Olympus imaging, I used to leave an E3 with the 90-250 f/2.8 lens out in a torrential rainstorm for half an hour to prove a point.

They probably wouldn't publish this photo but maybe they'd use it as evidence of fog:

292bqch.jpg

I wish I could do something more like this but I'd need to be on an airplane.

We get rainbows sometimes, always in the same place for some reason, and I'd like to shoot some of those.

I'm afraid of anything with batteries that's permanently waterproof. I want batteries to be able to vent.

I'm a weather detective.
(Looks out window) Most of he sidewalk is wet . . . it recently rained.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back