anybody has an idea on how to stop a facebook user from posting copyrighted work ??

copyright

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend approched me with this problem that a Facebook Business page is posting her work on their page without my friends permission. It appears as if this person is promoting her 'business' by using and posting my friends work. Facebook does not do anything unless she files a court order. Are there other ways to stop this behavior ?

Did your friend file the form for copyrights violation that Facebook has? Probably, because if the person using the photo responds back that they have the right to use it it is then up to your friend to defend their rights. Facebook has now legally checked the boxes so they can't be held liable by informing that there is a dispute and they are not the arbiters to that dispute, it's up to yoru friend to go to court to get action against the abuser.

Did your friend register the copyrights with the US Copyrights office? If not, then no attorney will even look at the case since there would most likely be no monetary award for them to devour. The best your freind can do is pay an attorney to send a letter threatening legal action, but that's about all it will ever be. Although copyright is created at the time you create the image, actions have to be taken that will allow you to protect them later and receive damages. The best they can get now is spending money to go to court to tell the abuser to stop using it... is the image worth the $$ and battle?

Lesson learned, if you post it on the internet someone can and will use it.

I've had a couple people post some of my photos on facebook. I reported it to the facebook people and they had the photos removed. You have to file a complaint. You'll find it under the Help section.

Reports of Intellectual Property Infringement
DDIDjLBa4mr.gif

How do I report intellectual property infringement?

We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from posting content that violates another party's intellectual property right...
We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from posting content that violates another party's intellectual property rights. When we receive a proper claim of IP infringement, we promptly remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing content. We also terminate the accounts of repeat infringers in appropriate circumstances.

If you believe that content on the Facebook website violates another party's intellectual property rights, you should contact the rights owner directly. If you believe that content is accessible on the Facebook website in violation of your own IP rights, please visit our How to Report Claims of Intellectual Property Infringement page for more information.

I think only this link works here, not sure why... https://www.facebook.com/help/intellectual_property

If you don't want someone copying your work, don't post it online.

I don't suggest the only way I know to stop such

fixproblems.jpg

Edsport, you can file the form, but if the party in question says they have the right to post the photo, Facebook allows it to be put back up and sends you a message that you need to take it to court. When I get home tomorrow I will see if I still have the email from Facebook with the exact wording. Submitting that form only takes the pictures down temporarily and they stay down only if the offender does not dispute your copyright claim.

Edsport, you can file the form, but if the party in question says they have the right to post the photo, Facebook allows it to be put back up and sends you a message that you need to take it to court. When I get home tomorrow I will see if I still have the email from Facebook with the exact wording. Submitting that form only takes the pictures down temporarily and they stay down only if the offender does not dispute your copyright claim.
Oh, my case never went that far, they removed them and that was it. As for if they say they have the right to the photo then just let facebook know that you have the raw file and exif, maybe it'll help, i don't know. I don't see too many people saying that they have the right to post it though...

Maybe I'm wrong (I dropped the 'Book a long time ago), but didn't Facebook change it's policy to state that all posted content became property of Facebook?

It was a rumor/misconception and Facebook doesn't and never did take ownership of anything. However, by posting on Facebook you agree this:

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
  1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

I have the best solution. I stay far far away from Facebook, have not joined, and do not post, or browse. I have even refused multiple invitations to join Facebook.

skieur

I have the best solution. I stay far far away from Facebook, have not joined, and do not post, or browse. I have even refused multiple invitations to join Facebook.

skieur

Ditto. I registered under my username, and never went back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back