Anybody want to have a go a editing these photos?

Infinite_Day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, all. I don't have a good version of Photoshop - only the original CS and I'm not very good at using it. I have these two photos that aren't particularly great but are two that really hit the heart from our Scotland vacation last year. I was stupid at the time and only shot them in JPEG so I don't have RAW versions. I'm wondering if anybody wants to have a go at trying to improve them some. It was very late evening when these were shot, obviously, and both were hand held. If nobody wants to have a go that's fine and understandable. Thanks for having a look either way and have a good one!

P.S. - I realize that it will probably be difficult to do a lot if anything given the nature of the photos.

1.)
DSC_0515 by Infinite Day, on Flickr

2.)
DSC_0507 by Infinite Day, on Flickr

I have no idea what you were after.. so I just did some faux HDR with a couple of stops either way..

Very blue... and difficult to color balance properly....
View attachment 6381

Wasn't sure if you were after the sunset or the foreground.. so I compromised
View attachment 6382

Last edited:
$6935223298_8e32376df4_b.jpg
$6935233712_9f85034dbb_b.jpg

Because of the severe under exposure of both images, image noise will be an issue with any edits done to them, even if you had Raw files.

JPEGs have alreday been edited in the camera, having little if any editing headroom left.

Reduced some noise...
$6935223298_8e32376df4_b.jpg $6935223298_8e32376df4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Because of the severe under exposure of both images, image noise will be an issue with any edits done to them, even if you had Raw files.

JPEGs have alreday been edited in the camera, having little if any editing headroom left.

I know, Keith. Hindsight, 20/20, that sort of stuff, unfortunately. They're underexposed on purpose - sort of. They're technically not underexposed - I was trying to get what it actually looked like and what you see in the original is pretty darn close to original conditions.

I like the edits that you did, Boyun. Your first version of the harbor jetty is the best one. I should have stated that I really didn't expect them to be lightened to the point of daylight - I actually want to keep most of the moodiness of the dark evening. I was just hoping somebody could possibly pop out a little more detail and perhaps lighten them a bit.

Charlie, I think you thought that I was hoping for them to be brought to day-time shot conditions. Sorry for the confusion on that front. I greatly appreciate the effort, however!

Thanks again for your efforts and comments. They are much appreciated!

I wanna play too!!! I also didn't know what you were after, so just had a play.

3341d86.jpg

19pf9j.jpg

As KmH said, there's a bit of a noise issue but apart from that, I think they came out reasonably OK.

The idea with the first one would be not to lighten it so much that the light at the end of the jetty is blown out. It actually took me a few shots just to get in "on" in the photo because it's a flashing warning beacon. As I said, I'm not sure exactly what could be done if anything. I like the darkeness of it but would like to have just a bit more detail/contrast? Not really sure. Thanks for having a go, Forkie! These were shot in Nairn, Scotland, by the way. Beautiful little place.

I know, Keith. Hindsight, 20/20, that sort of stuff, unfortunately. They're underexposed on purpose - sort of. They're technically not underexposed - I was trying to get what it actually looked like and what you see in the original is pretty darn close to original conditions.

I like the edits that you did, Boyun. Your first version of the harbor jetty is the best one. I should have stated that I really didn't expect them to be lightened to the point of daylight - I actually want to keep most of the moodiness of the dark evening. I was just hoping somebody could possibly pop out a little more detail and perhaps lighten them a bit.

Charlie, I think you thought that I was hoping for them to be brought to day-time shot conditions. Sorry for the confusion on that front. I greatly appreciate the effort, however!

Thanks again for your efforts and comments. They are much appreciated!

hahaha.. yes, it does help to know what you are after! :)

Most reactions

Back