Anyone a fan of ringflash?

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a paul c buff ABR800 for $150 on Craigslist along with another Alienbee B800 for $100. If anything I might check out the B800 just for the hell of it... It wouldn't hurt to have 3 B800's would it?

I've never used one, but from the shots I've seen, I like the light very much, but really dislike the catchlights - it makes the subjects look like zombies to me.

Buckster, I agree. The catch light can be lovely! but most of the time I think it makes the model/person in the picture to have almost a zombie-ish look!

I see no use for them in fashion or beauty photography, because the catchlights look god awful.

The real reason to have a ringflash is if you're doing macro work.

I love mine. I don't use it as much as I could be its a great powerful light. indeed the catch lights are different but it has it use. Make's a great rim light, hair light. You remind me that i haven't used it in about a year or so lol

here is use the ring flash for fill, in a 5 light setup.

4.jpg

here was a 2 light setup.
ring flash on camera around a 50mm.
4.jpg

4.jpg

here it was a ring flash only shot. mounted on camera
4.jpg

I think I could have fun with one, but never owned one myself.

I feel like it would be fun to play around with but I don't see myself using one consistently enough to pay $150 for it. Although I feel it's a heck of a deal

You could get some interesting retroreflective stuff with it, retroflection with polarization could make for some very interesting effects.

"Hey, when you were out at the video rental store, the guy from Studio 1994 called...he asked if you'd seen their ring flash...so I told him I'd ask you when you got back...I left his number on a Post-It note on top of the answering machine."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back