Anyone Else Feel Weird Shooting In Public?

j28Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to get downtown and capture some urban shots but I always feel weird when shooting in public. Sorta like I can hear them say to themselves "What's this guy taking a picture of?" or "What's this weirdo doing?"

Its especially tough to shoot in a busy city and not feel like you're not respecting people's privacy by including them in your shot. However, its not like I can walk around the entire city handing out waivers to everyone.

I dunno... maybe I'm the only one. Sadly, this kinda deters me from going out. Thoughts?

Yes you are the only one :D when i'm shooting in the street i use a Leica M4 which is very small i hold it in one hand by my side and only raise it to my eye if i see a shot i hardly ever get noticed and don't care if i do if they don't want to be in my shot they shouldn't be there

Thanks for the permission! ;) Moving to the Discussion Forum.

Haha... thanks!!!

Yes you are the only one :D when i'm shooting in the street i use a Leica M4 which is very small i hold it in one hand by my side and only raise it to my eye if i see a shot i hardly ever get noticed and don't care if i do if they don't want to be in my shot they shouldn't be there

I know thats the mindset I should have too.

Yes, and if you want to do street photography it's just something you have to get over. I think you'll find that most people don't care at all as long as you're not being obnoxious about it. Find places that you won't get in the way and look like you belong there. Lean against a tree or lamppost, doorways, alley corners...

I think the more nervous you look the more out of place you look. Be confident and smile while you're shooting, people may not get what you're shooting but they won't care that you're shooting. Last time I did some street stuff I ended up with a guy following me around. Thought he was going to mug me until I saw him pull out his cell phone and start taking pics of everything I shot.

you need a photo hunting buddy. People will just think you are from out of town when they see you taking pic at odd spots. most people think they are not in your shot or they are in the way of your shot.

Oh my Good Heavens YES!!! ALL THE TIME.

In fact I think it really has held me back from some nice pictures because I did not take out my camera when I should have, or I did it freehand when I know a tripod would have been much, much better.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and being a farmer get up wicked early anyway (2 AM-3 AM) and so I head out for photo shoots in the morning to "capture the good light". One day I went to a lake that was in the middle of nowhere, took a 1/2 hour ride through back roads to get there, all this knowing I would be alone and got all ready for a nice photo...when I heard voices. . Some fishermen were hauling in a canoe to go fishing. I was pretty embarrassed because I like to be alone for these sorts of things, but as they walked by, the oldest one says, "Wow, now that is going to be a nice picture." After that I was not so dead set on being alone while taking photos.

For what it is worth, this is what I was doing that day.

7678463186_52f9a9ca9e_z.jpg
[/URL] Bike Lake by Plowpoints, on Flickr[/IMG]

I really want to get downtown and capture some urban shots but I always feel weird when shooting in public. Sorta like I can hear them say to themselves "What's this guy taking a picture of?" or "What's this weirdo doing?"

Its especially tough to shoot in a busy city and not feel like you're not respecting people's privacy by including them in your shot. However, its not like I can walk around the entire city handing out waivers to everyone.

I dunno... maybe I'm the only one. Sadly, this kinda deters me from going out. Thoughts?

I feel the same way...

I just got back from shooting one of the monuments downtown. I realise Lloydminster isn't the busiest city and far from large, but it was right along the highway at "rush hour". I'm sure people were wondering what the heck I was doing, but didn't bother me as much as I thought it might, lol.
I think I actually was holding up someones family photos, but no one said anything to me.

I feel that way too. I am noticing that it is just like other things that I have done, and you have to get out of your comfort zone in order to get the best out of it. I am getting better but am still not there yet.

Glad I'm not the only one. I went for a small hike a couple weeks ago and could have had some beautiful shots if people weren't staring at me or in the shot itself.

That day was especially weird because there were a lot of kids around and being alone, I didn't wanna look like a pedophile.

Thanks for the words of encouragement people!

Only you are responsible for how you feel. If you are going about doing your business taking pictures, dont show any fear or apprehension about doing it and people will pretty much leave you alone and respect your space while you are shooting. Be courteous to them if you can, otherwise just ignore them. I generally dont like people in my shots so I wait for them to leave. After a while if there is no end I will ask them to stop while I take my shot. But thats only after Ive waited long enough.

And just how many of the people do you see on the street and think THEY are weirdos because of their clothes, hairstyle, funny-looking car, etc?

My basic thoughts while doing candid photography in and from public places is "let 'em think whatever they want, I'm getting my picture!" For what it's worth, I'm headed to downtown Chicago next week, basically repeating a trip there a year ago. Hopefully, it will be a bit cooler, and I can get some more great shots of things I didn't have time for last year. Fortunately, it's downtown, business day, and quite crowded. So personal safety issues are minimal, as I am travelling alone. Somehow, I never feel 'safe' in New York City, which is only a 2.5 hr drive from my home in MA. Philly...so so. Washington DC...no problem! Everyone's a tourist there! Needless to say, I only go where the crowds are...not walking alone with "valuable" camera gear.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back