Anyone ever take a photography course at college?

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I am taking Digital Photography I as a humanities course and I was wondering if anyone else has taken a college course or stand alone course. Did it help?

I did go to (Canadian) college for a two year Photography certificate ... though it was 20 years ago.
The most helpful courses (for me) where in Lighting and Darkroom.

I would think you wouldn't have a Darkroom course in a modern Digital Photography program.

I have recently taken a Beg Photo class; darkroom and 35mm, I just finished a Digital Photo class; all about Photoshop with a little about working in ridiculously high ISO. There are a couple of classes left for me to take at my school, advanced photo, studio photo, and there is one more that I can't think of right now. I think they have all helped. Oh and I had some guidance with my Prof while figuring out the Hasselblad. I say take whatever you can, I think it would be impossible to not learn something.

I have taken a photography course but it really didn't teach me much... our assignments were really just that we were given a theme and would submit pictures for it every week... but I think that it just depends on the course and the person teaching it... You will probably get more out of it than the one I took! Good Luck!

LOL I just got a Bachelors in Fine Arts majoring in photography, a 4-year degree on this stuff.

School didn't teach me anything about working a camera. Dead serious.

Fine Arts is learning "about" photography.
My wife majored in University Media Arts ... I took a College Photo certificate ... she learned about what I was taught to do.

This is true ^ (I'm dxq's wife), my degree taught me alot about image theory, art history, that sort of stuff. Which was all good, but there was very little technical when compared to what dxq was learning in college.

To answer the OP's question, I think it depends on what you want to learn.

Thank you for all the replies. Here is the course description:

Students learn basic digital camera skills beginning with exposure control, including bracketing, reciprocity, exposure modes, and the use of the histogram. The creative techniques of depth of field and movement control are explored as well as techniques for low light and night photography. Image processing skills are introduced using Adobe PhotoShop, including basic digital workflow management, density and contrast control, basic black and white conversion, dodging, burning, cropping, and retouching. Print presentation and archival storage methods of prints and digital media will be explored. (2hrs. lecture, 3 hrs. lab.)

Students are required to have any fully-adjustable digital camera with a resolution of 4MB or greater. Photographic Imaging majors are required to have a digital SLR camera with a resolution of 6MB or greater. Students must provide their own memory cards, storage drives, CD-Rs,DVDs, ink jet paper and some other supplies.

LOL I just got a Bachelors in Fine Arts majoring in photography, a 4-year degree on this stuff.

School didn't teach me anything about working a camera. Dead serious.

Is that because you already knew how to use a camera? It seems strange that you would study for four years and not be taught. Do you mean you didn't learn anything or rather that you weren't taught anything? Please tell us more...

Sounds like a good intro course to me. Are you taking it as part of a degree in something else? If yes, I can't see any reason not to take it, it would be fun!

Thank you for all the replies. Here is the course description:

Students learn basic digital camera skills beginning with exposure control, including bracketing, reciprocity, exposure modes, and the use of the histogram. The creative techniques of depth of field and movement control are explored as well as techniques for low light and night photography. Image processing skills are introduced using Adobe PhotoShop, including basic digital workflow management, density and contrast control, basic black and white conversion, dodging, burning, cropping, and retouching. Print presentation and archival storage methods of prints and digital media will be explored. (2hrs. lecture, 3 hrs. lab.)

Students are required to have any fully-adjustable digital camera with a resolution of 4MB or greater. Photographic Imaging majors are required to have a digital SLR camera with a resolution of 6MB or greater. Students must provide their own memory cards, storage drives, CD-Rs,DVDs, ink jet paper and some other supplies.

Sounds like a good intro course to me. Are you taking it as part of a degree in something else? If yes, I can't see any reason not to take it, it would be fun!

Yes, I am majoring in computer science and I need 2 art classes. So I saw this and figured why not?

This is true ^ (I'm dxq's wife), my degree taught me alot about image theory, art history, that sort of stuff. Which was all good, but there was very little technical when compared to what dxq was learning in college.

To answer the OP's question, I think it depends on what you want to learn.

I really want to learn the fundamentals of photography and have a good base of knowledge to develop my own style.

Definitely take the course then! It will be fun, you will probably learn lots, and it'll give you a nice break from the computer sci stuff!
Have fun!

I took a Dig. Photography course @ my local Junior College last year. It was a complete waste of my time & money! The only good thing that came out of the class was that since I was a "student" I got Photoshop & Lightroom @ a super discounted rate. I have learned so much more from the internet & trial & error. I actually dropped the course early.

I think it was partially the teacher in this case though. She turned the class into a class about the art side of photography rather than teaching the technical side, which was what the class was supposed to be, according to the description. I spoke to several other students that were also very disappointed in the class, so it wasn't just me.

Good luck w/ your class!

I will begin the photography certification courses at my local University of Florida after my "All Around USA" motorcycle trip this summer. Not because I want to change professions, but because I love taking and PPing pics and want to improve.

Most reactions

Back