Anyone ever use vacuum bags on film negatives?

Shutterpug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was thinking that vacuum bags might help with protecting negatives. Anyone here got any experience with them?

No.

There are protective sleeves made specifically for negatives. They are cheap and work well and come in a few different styles, a la sheets with three holes for a three ring binder and individual sleeves which can handle one negative strip of six frames per strip or an entire roll of strips (six strips of six frames per strip). There are books with pages of negatives sleeves and index pages for identification of the negatives.

Since there might be residual (albeit non-toxic to carbon-based lifeforms) chemicals in the plastic that might react to the film, I'd never try it.

In addition, the inner side of vac-seal bags are ribbed to create channels between the two sides and allow the vacuum to suck the air out. This might transfer the rib pattern to the film.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What them there folks said.

That's some creative thinking, but I agree with using the archival sleeves intended for the purpose. And label as you go as much as possible, at least a brief date/place; I have some I'm trying to get organized from several years ago - just glad that I organized most of them at the time because it's a pain now getting back to it!

I have used those archival storage boxes and sleeves and also have a bunch that are in three ring binders. Then you just need a location with controlled temp/humidity and preferably dark.

I would think that a room with pressure slightly higher than atmospheric supplied through proper filtration would be better at keeping dust out as compared to a vacuum environment.

I have negatives and slides from grandparents and great grandparents that are in perfect condition from being in closets with humidity always below 50% and temperatures never above the low 70's°F. I also have negatives that all stuck together within a few years that were in high humidity/high temperature locations.

Most reactions

Back