Anyone feel like their photography is getting worse?

Moe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[deleted]

Last edited:
I have been into photography for about 6 months.http://www.flickr.com/photos/32600254@N05/

Rome wasn't built in a day. I know where you're coming from, I was there too, and I was doing the same thing.

I learned that I needed to be less critical of myself and needed to stop comparing myself to people who have been working in the field their entire lives.

Think of it this way: were you able to do what you do now, on year ago today?

You're getting better, and you're better then you think ;)

Self critisism is the bane of most photographers who care about their work so much so that I'll bin a lot of shots many would call keepers, its just the way it is I'm afraid, it takes balls to display work publicly, then its a great feeling when the stuff is accepted. You have to remember, not everyone else can take anything like a decent shot. H

I have been into photography for about 6 months. Like many people probably did, I dove right in. Constantly reading books and the internet trying to improve. Of course, I learned a lot quickly. I bought a nice flash and some lenses to go along with my D40. I was really pleased with quite a few photos I took. However, I just feel I'm going nowhere. I just got back from a trip to Paris and I'm finally done editing my photos (does it take anyone else forever?) and was disappointed. I got a couple OK shots, but none that I saw on my computer and said, "I'm posting that one." Could be that the more I know, the more I critique my own photos. However you would think if that was the case, I would improve. Who knows, I'm just curious to see if anyone else has had this go on, and how you got out of the rut. The good news is that I'm not foolish enough to think a more expensive camera will help! (but I did just order some Cactus V4's)

Thanks!

Feel free to check my Flickr: Flickr: Moseph1's Photostream

Umm, wow...

Your work is amazing IMO... Its very good!

DSC_0141 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I like this for some reason...

well this is how I do things (only a learner as well been shooting for a year and something).

1) I never delete in the field unless the shot is of the back of the lenscap - honestly the LCD is no good for image review = the histogram view is great, but for sharpness and overall photo looks the LCD is just too small to get an idea. So I check the histogram when I get the chance, but not much else

2) I never delete shots on the computer right after I copy them over from the card - infact just don't delete the shots at all. I often find that right after I get back its only the best keepers that ever get processed (yes it takes an age and a day ;)) and the rest are forgotten about.

3) Come back to the shots in a week or more and have another look - you will almost certainly find a few more shots worth holding onto

As for learning I keep a blog of my work in which I post up the keepers and do some self analysis (nothing major). Its a good record of my work and if you keep it updated one can browse through and see how you have changed your style, workflows, criteria and how you have improved
We do all have bad days - heavy overcast grey days for me nearly always leave me feeling like I don;t know half of what I think I do - and I tend to walk away from such days with very few keepers. However so much of it is just shooting and learning in different situations and for that you need in the field experience - you can't learn it directly from a book as the book, you can learn some theory, but its not till your in the field that you find out what "good" and "bad" light is. Give yourself time and you will end up knowing the light far better

Your shots are good - keep at it.

You may want to invest in a photography course (read: hiring someone who knows their stuff to critique your work) if you continue to feel, well, inadequate. But no one really cares how they look - you're not doing this professionally, just take the photos for yourself and that should be that.

Personally if I'm going to shoot digital, I unless I find a few really good shots I just trash the rest since post-processing is the bane of my existence - I'm in this for what I get in the field, not for what I get on my wall.

You have some really nice shots in the set.

Seems to me you are out of the honeymoon phase of learning photography and finally really learning.

We get all excited about a new camera and its potential. We explore some new things (new to us, basic to others) and notice we can blurr out background and keep subjects in focus with a wide aperture, motion shots, rear sync flash and so on.

We also learn about the technology of camera, the lenses, full frame vs crop... and then we spend more money. Throw in some basic new (to us) knowledge of light and flashes, and we are having a great time.

Then we hit a wall. You learned the basics, and you feel you aren't moving. But really, what needs to get you moving is practice and exploration. Practice is easily done on your time, but exploration can sometimes be done via classes... learning about posed potraits, photojournalism, sports, night photos and so on can sometimes help give you a bigger diversity in your knowledge package.

For me it comes in waves... I hit a plateau, stay there a while and then jump up... hit another plateau and jump up again. To break past the plateau, I find, takes breaking routines and methods.

I thought your photos were great and it looked like you got some really good original shots in there. I wouldn't be so critical of your self, cause even if you take a picture that you think is perfect... stare at it long enough and you will always find something that you don't like.

Chances are, thats what has happened. You spent so much time editing them to get them to be what you wanted, you are now tired of looking at them. Leave them for a week or so, come back to them and appreciate them for what they are.

[deleted]

Last edited:
... so much so fast, I guess I wanted to keep that pace. I realize that is not possible, but it can be frustrating at times. ...

Sort of like, it's a lot of fun to eat, and everything's really tasty, but somewhere along the line you have to digest it all.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think you guys hit it the nail on the head, talking about hitting a plateau/wall. That's what seems to be happening. Just like anything, I'm sure I'll break through it. I was just learning so much so fast, I guess I wanted to keep that pace. I realize that is not possible, but it can be frustrating at times. Thanks again.
Yeah it happens to everyone. Maybe try shooting something different from what you noramlly shoot as well. And I didnt see anything wrong with what you have shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back