Anyone have experience with the EF 28-70 f2.8?

eswebster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering if anyone owns this lens or has in the past. Looking to get opinions on it. Reviews seem very positive.

Which one? The first or second version? I own the 24-70 2.8 (first version) and I only use it if I absolutely have to. I hate that lens. It is the one I always leave at home if I am shooting for myself. On the other hand, I recently had the updated version of the 24-70 2.8 from CPS, and I was completely blown away. It is sharp, the distortion is minimal, and so much faster than the first version. When I say fast; I mean FAST! It has a large price tag, ($2299.00) but in my opinion it is a much needed upgrade from Canon and long overdue.

Thanks for the response Kathy, but the 28-70 wasnt a typo. The standard zoom prior to the 24-70 Mk I was the 28-70. I found one for $650. Reviews were good but am always interested in more first hand experience.

Thanks for the response Kathy, but the 28-70 wasnt a typo. The standard zoom prior to the 24-70 Mk I was the 28-70. I found one for $650. Reviews were good but am always interested in more first hand experience.
Oh my gosh. I didn't even know they made a 28-70, and so my brain automatically went to the 24-70. I am sorry about that.

This is what photozone said:

"The performance of the Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L came as a surprise because its optical quality exceeded the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L (two samples tested). The lens doesn't really show any significant flaws - the resolution figures are very high and distortions and especially vignetting are very low. The degree of CAs is pretty decent for a zoom in this range. The build quality is very good with only the reverse zoom extension as a minor downside."

Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L - Review / Test Report

Thanks Dao. Kathy, what did you dislike so much about the 24-70? Weight, image quality, something else?

So I pulled the trigger and was shooting around with it last night on the 5D MkII. Its amazing. I had a 24-105L that came with my kit and this is far sharper, and 2.8 is amazing to isolate your subject... last night my son at swim class.

Anyway, for sure a keeper. 2.8 and below L glass is where it is at. Only thing that has me a bit concerned is that it was originally manufactured in July of 1995. So i hope the electronics keep going strong.

I will also say that BH is amazing. They rated the lens an 8, which is low on their scale and the thing is in amazing shape. Just another great experience with them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back