Anyone have the new Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro?

cfusionpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have this lens yet? Or links to reviews? Is it even available yet? Was curious how it compared to the old 100mm 2.8 macro and how well the new "hybrid IS" system works.

I got one about two weeks ago. It is pretty impressive albeit pricey. Sharpness is to be expected with any macro lens, but what sets it apart from the non-IS f/2.8 is the color rendering. Contrast and color appear crisper with the ED coating. The IS is a real treat since I mainly shoot hand-held. I was able to get usable shots at about 1/60th. You will still need a tripod or steady support for ultra-ctirical sharpness though.

Does it work well as a portrait lens too? I saw this lens at B&H for $1049 plus shipping. I think that's the best price I can find. Is it worth it? Thanks

I got one about two weeks ago. It is pretty impressive albeit pricey. Sharpness is to be expected with any macro lens, but what sets it apart from the non-IS f/2.8 is the color rendering. Contrast and color appear crisper with the ED coating. The IS is a real treat since I mainly shoot hand-held. I was able to get usable shots at about 1/60th. You will still need a tripod or steady support for ultra-ctirical sharpness though.

Have you done a head to head comparison with the older version? I have never had any issues with the contrast or color rendering on my 100 f/2.8. At least one review that I read suggests that the two lenses are nearly identical in performance except for build factor, weatherproofing, and IS.

Last edited:
I would love to have the "L" version of the 100mm. But I love my Canon 100 f2.8 macro lense and Ive taken plenty of pictures handheld at 1/40th of a second so I could only imagine what you could do with the Hybrid IS. Let us know if you get one and what you think.

Have you done a head to head comparison with the older version? I have never had any issues with the contrast or color rendering on my 100 f/2.8. At least one review that I read suggests that the two lenses are nearly identical in performance except for build factor, weatherproofing, and IS.

It's fairly subjective. I just found that I had to barely touch up any of the shots in post-processing. Usually their is some degree of contrast and color that I tweak, but not with this lens. I noticed the same jump when I moved from my non-L lenses to the L-series. I checked it against a few shots with the non-L 100, and the quality was subtle but noticeable. Nothing mind-blowing.

Does it work well as a portrait lens too? I saw this lens at B&H for $1049 plus shipping. I think that's the best price I can find. Is it worth it? Thanks

I have not used it for portraiture yet, though it should work well. The focus is slow though, so its best to manually focus to within range and than let the AF assist.

I want to buy this lens but at $1049 it is indeed pricey. Does anybody body know if Canon is going to have a lens rebate soon? About 3 months ago I was able to save $200 on another lens purchase.

wow, I checked out some of your photos on flickr...impressive!

thanks! too bad there is no rebate on the 100mm F2.8L macro IS :(

I have just received my Canon 100mm 2.8L IS macro lens today. Got it from Beach Camera for $1029 shipped. I also have the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR micro lens. I already know how well the Nikon lens works. Will find out how well this new Canon lens works.

Most reactions

Back