Anyone have the Nikon AN-6W/Y wide strap?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had no idea Nikon made these better high quality made in Japan straps. It seems a lot of people really like them and are quite comfortable I guess. But for the life of me, I cannot find out the length of these straps. Are they the same length of the one that comes with the camera? I've looked and looked....hopefully someone who has one here could measure it for me, I'd really appreciate it.

It is 47.5 inches long, and 1.9 inch at the widest part, according to an owner who measured it. it's a wider, modern variant of the old, classic 1980's Nikon strap.
Nikon AN-6W Nylon Wide Neck Strap (Wine) 4508 B&H Photo Video at the widest.

What the heck. I've checked it out at B&H and couldn't figure it out. I even checked with Nikon and said it was only 12" haha.

Yeah, it's probably not longer than the stock strap. I was hoping to wear across my chest, but I'll probably have to just use my Blackrapid that I don't trust.

Thanks Derrel.

The guy that posted is sort of a fanboy...he loves those straps...um...yeah, a 12-inch neckstrap! LOL! No, it's the standard Nikon length...47.5 inches.

Thinking about a 12-inch length camera neckstrap...lends new meaning to the term "pencil-neck"!

So are they really nice as they say?

nerwin said:
So are they really nice as they say?

I'm not sure who "they" are...it's a strap...it's well-made, and just the new variant of the older Nikon straps of yesteryear, it's not really much different from the Nikon-supplied big-glass lens straps that were designed to go onto the lens barrel lugs on the Nikon 300/2.8 and the early 200/2 and so on...it is what a company with decades of experience considers its best strap design to make a heavy 7- to 12-pound load bearable by a human neck...if you want comfort and lower felt weight, look into the neoprene strap designs from OpTech. I dunno...I grew up when the 2-inch wide "hippie strap" was a camera strap, but then by the time I started shooting seriously, SKINNY straps of less than 1/2 inch to about 1-inch were common.

Straps are a personal matter. Some people like a skinny strap attachment area down by the lugs, so the strap can be wrapped around the right hand's palm and back of the hand 1 or 2 times, and then they like the strap to be relatively SKINNY (1-inch or narrower)around the central widest part of the strap, so it's out of the way, and the camera is sort of strapped to the hand.

A 2-inch wide strap is good for a 300/2.8 or 200/2, where you put the strap on the LENS, and put that around your neck for short periods of time when you are hand-holding the lens at an event, or when toting the lens when it is not on the camera, and not in its case. The 2-inch wide Nikon-made straps for the 200/2 and the 300/2.8 are fine for what they are designed to do. The 2-inch AN-6 straps for cameras are liked by some people: do a search--that one Nikon guy has his D3 and D2x and three smaller Nikons, all five of them, rigged up with the AN-6-model of strap...he obviously LOVES that strap design.

The old Nikon AN-series 1-inch strap is one I used for 15 years on an F3-HP with MD-4...it's a great strap for that, for me. Some people want a strap to "wear" the camera, some people want one that gets out of the way when the camera is being used--I fall into that second category, but I've used the Nikon 2-inch wide straps, and they do have a purpose. There are about five basic strap types that I can think of, and what one guy says is awesome another person might ridicule. That's basically the story...

"...different straps for different chaps..."

Last edited:
What about the whole "walking billboard" thing? I've done a lot of research on straps and it's amazes me how many refuse to use nikon straps because it says Nikon. I just find it ridiculous. Haha

It is 47.5 inches long, and 1.9 inch at the widest part, according to an owner who measured it. it's a wider, modern variant of the old, classic 1980's Nikon strap.
Nikon AN-6W Nylon Wide Neck Strap (Wine) 4508 B&H Photo Video at the widest.

What the heck. I've checked it out at B&H and couldn't figure it out. I even checked with Nikon and said it was only 12" haha.

Yeah, it's probably not longer than the stock strap. I was hoping to wear across my chest, but I'll probably have to just use my Blackrapid that I don't trust.

Thanks Derrel.

The Black Rapids are very good and secure. If you don’t trust it, add a tether to it.

I was using this one for a D800: Slide

it's basically a car seat-belt. I found it uncomfortable during a wedding especially once I got it sweaty...

Image1543960248.210813.jpg
this is what I use on my D80

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

What about the whole "walking billboard" thing? I've done a lot of research on straps and it's amazes me how many refuse to use nikon straps because it says Nikon. I just find it ridiculous. Haha
Black Rapid is my 'go-to' strap; I have a half-dozen (or more?) of them. I MUCH prefer the over-the-shoulder design, especially running two bodies. I find that neck straps very quickly become uncomfortable and unwieldy. With respect to your comment about not using a branded strap, I don't like them because they seem rather loud and pretentious, and, depending on where you are, they add a certain element of risk, clearly advertising the fact that you are toting expensive gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back