Anyone have this inexpensive lens?

I am a little conflicted on this lens. The reviews keep comparing it to the 18-55mm?? But it is saying that you can get great in focus shots from a far distance. Good grief, first I wanted a wide angle lens, now I am looking at this one. I don't have $2,000 to spend on a telephoto lens, was thinking this may be a good starting point? Just trying to do my research here before I purchase. Thank you Dao for telling me about the upgrade on this. Surely someone on this forum own this lens??

I have the older version. It's soft.

It was that lens that made me decide to upgrade from the XSi, to the 5DmkII, and L lenses.

It's a consumer grade lens. It will give consumer grade results, not professional grade results.

The key point to remember about consumer grade gear is consumer grade dear has more limitations compared to professional grade gear.

Many consumer grade lenses can focus sharply, but only within a narrower range of their adjustments when compared to professional grade lenses.

Inexpensive lenses are inexpensive because they lack the lens elements that are more effective at controlling the optical aberrations that are inherent to any lens that degrade image quality.

I agree, the primary design consideration when this lens was built was the price. It cuts a lot of corners so that it can be one of the most affordable tele lenses on the market.

If you want to go tele, I'd recommend saving up for a while longer and trying to get your hands on a used 70-200mm f/4L. Maybe not even a zoom? ...the Canon 135mm f/2.8 is a nice lens for the money.

Just an afterthought... Not sure what you have for lighting already, but if the money really is burning a hole in your pocket, you could get a speedlight+umbrella+radio triggers for the cost of that 55-250.

Its a top lens for the cost

I'll second analog.universe's suggestion. Additional lighting will open more options for you than another lens will. And I'll second BJ's suggestion to save up to buy better lenses - I upgraded four times (ending up with L glass) because, in the end the image quality is only as good as the glass.

Just an afterthought... Not sure what you have for lighting already, but if the money really is burning a hole in your pocket, you could get a speedlight+umbrella+radio triggers for the cost of that 55-250.

Busy day, just now had a chance to get back on here. I think too hard when making a purchase, 1st I wanted a wide angle, then zoom, good grief can't make up my mind. After reading this earlier (didn't have time to respond) I am considering going with the flash. Now I'm in the wrong thread, lol! What is a good flash suggestion, the speedlite? I have umbrellas already but they came with my studio and crappy continuous lighting. I just want to make the right purchase and since I have 2 lenses, I am thinking you all are right, a flash would be a good move.

I have this lens and it's fine for the price. However, I've had it for less than a year and am saving to upgrade to the 70-200 (f4 or f2.8 depending on how long I can handle saving). It is soft but for the price it was great for me to use and learn if this was a focal length I wanted to invest more money in. Using it, I've realized that I really enjoy nature photography.

I think it comes down to how much you will use it, or if you would get more value upgrading you lighting now and saving to by an 'L' telephoto lens.

:confused::confused: They have so many speedlites....just looked on amazon. Some of them are out of my price range, others not. Crazy when you have a little extra money, but not much, don't know which way to go

If price is really an issue look at second hand options. Ebay, craigslist, etc. You will end up with a better lens for the same price as what you'd pay to get something mediocre that will devalue faster. If the 70-200 f4 L second hand is out of your price range, then perhaps look for a 70-300 - not quite pro level but it is a better lens than the 55-250.

Thanks, I have decided to ditch the lens for now and go with a flash, so I guess i need to start a new thread? I am trying to get an answer to what speedlite I can get for about $200.

Most reactions

Back