Anyone Have This Lens?

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all I'm on a budget so I can't afford the best lenses out there. I get lenses that are affordable to me and work well for amateur photography. Right now I'm wanting a good wide angle lens for landscapes and possible future astrophotography. My kit lens just isn't cutting the mustard, big surprise, right?! Ha! I'm looking real hard at this lens and from a price point it looks pretty nice, whether the cream of the crop or not. Reviews on it are generally pretty high but I would like to see some more (trusted) reviews from experienced people on here before I pull the trigger. Thanks for any and all input!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ORXEIW/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I never had a chance to use the 11-16 but I did have the 12-24 F4 which I shot on my D7000 and it was an awesome lens. Built like a tank and sharp and wide. The only other thing I've heard about the 12-24 compared to the 11-16 is to make sure you're really wanting the 11-16, the difference between 11-16 isn't much and its more limited than a 12-24 for example, which yes isn't a 2.8 (I think they may have released one now) but gives you much more play in the zoom range making it more useable across different types of shooting.

Hi have you thought about the sigma 10 to 20mm F3.5 it will give a wider range and is cheaper than the one you are looking at.
I have the sigma and have found it to be good wide lens
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM
Please note I have only used this on canon crop sensor cameras

I never had a chance to use the 11-16 but I did have the 12-24 F4 which I shot on my D7000 and it was an awesome lens. Built like a tank and sharp and wide. The only other thing I've heard about the 12-24 compared to the 11-16 is to make sure you're really wanting the 11-16, the difference between 11-16 isn't much and its more limited than a 12-24 for example, which yes isn't a 2.8 (I think they may have released one now) but gives you much more play in the zoom range making it more useable across different types of shooting.

If they have a 12-24 in f/2.8 I would definitely rather have that. I'll look into that. I really want something in a 2.8, especially for the astrophotography. Thanks! Edit; found a Sigma 14-24mm f2.8 but they want over 1k for it. That's ok, although it has more range I want something wider than the 18mm that I have already so the 11-16 will do fine. I'm guessing the Tokina 11-16 will produce some nice, sharp pics. I'm worried more about it's quality than anything. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi have you thought about the sigma 10 to 20mm F3.5 it will give a wider range and is cheaper than the one you are looking at.
I have the sigma and have found it to be good wide lens
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM
Please note I have only used this on canon crop sensor cameras

I was looking at that and it's a good lens but I would really rather have something with a big 2.8 aper. Thanks for the suggestion!

The 11-16mm is an ultrawide mate, so it's not a direct replacement for an 18-55mm. Ultrawides squish verticals, so they are great when you have big foregrounds and big skies, but stick anything in the middle it will get lost and they have a particular "look".

I woud suggest looking at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 C. It's a decent lens, well priced and one I have used for 4 odd years now. The other would be the canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6. They are good compromise lenses, are sharp enough. If you really want faster either an 18-55mm f2.8 or maybe a 50mm "nifty fifty" and a 24mm pancake.

I have the first version and it is a very sharp lens, even wide open. Better than the Tamron 10-24mm Di II.
I think the II has better flare control, otherwise similar.

I would much rather have a 10 to 20 mm rather than an 11 to 16 mm zoom.

A zoom lens with a range from 11 mm to 16 mm is really a very very wide-angle lens!

Most reactions

Back