Anyone have/use this lens?

I'm looking to buy a new lens and am looking at the Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the Sigma 35mm equivalent on a crop body 27mm to 75mm (18mm to 50mm 2.8 EX DG Autofocus but mine has macro throughout its range. Tamron's new glass is much better quality but their autofocus motors are not as good.

skieur

I have the lens for Nikon, and its not bad, I'm only using it for studio shots atm, use my 14-24 for outdoor shots. Its terrible for Macro however, I should have bought a dedicated macro, I'm not sure on the figures, but I get a much better result with my old 70-300mm sigma macro. other than that the lens is ok for its value.

Sadly I have no info on the 28-70 but I did have the Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro for Olympus, which gave a similar FOV as a 28-70 on a "regular" crop DSLR.

I can say that it wasn't at its sharpest until about f5.6. Wide open was a CA and sharpness nightmare. Sure, CA can be corrected and there's Photoshop sharpening but I didn't pay $425 for a lens where that was an issue.

I swiftly took a loss on the lens and replaced it with an Olympus 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 ($310!) which I can not only use wide open any day of the week, but is also water and dustproof.

Sorry that is fairly irrelevant to your question, but that lens is my only experience with the Sigma brand and it was less than great. Given that you already have L glass, I'd say to either TEST THE COPY YOU'RE GETTING AND MAKE SURE IT'S FANTASTIC, or just stick with the L's.

Most reactions

Back