Anyone heard of plans for Canon EOS 5D replacement?

just making sure we're on the same page. it was only img samples i saw, with "7d" exif, no body shots. (and yeah, there ARE forged examples - remember that D3 that looked like a 645? - but it's still a loose possibility)
i'm under the impression it's going to be a 5dmkII, rather than 7d, but wanted to stir the pot with my rumour. :)

OK, haven't seen those, but exif is even easier to forge than a body shot ;)

So we basically agree we all just wait until it is announced by canon, which may take month or a year ;) Actually, my hope is, the longer it takes, the better it will be :)

One big advantage of the 5D over the 1-series (at least for me) is that it is considerably smaller and lighter.

I am debating between the 1D Mark III or 5D. My biggest snag with the 5d is the 3fps. Hoping the update will boost it up to at least the 40D's 6.5fps
The problem with that, is that if they up the speed of the 5D...fewer photographers would buy the 1 series cameras. Canon's plan isn't to make the best camera possible...it's to make one that fits in between their existing models.

Big Mike...

I hear this a lot. Pick some feature of the 5D (or even the lower models) and wish it were more like the 1 series. What people are really wishing for is 1 series performance at the price point of "at most" the 5D.

IMO, Canon already makes their version of the best camera.. in fact two: 1d Mark III (for sports etc.. ) and the 1ds markIII (for fashion etc.). All other cameras including the 5D and its replacement exist purely as options for those with a smaller budget. Given the current lineup, I think Canon does a wonderful job of providing options that fits everyone's budget.

Big Mike...

I hear this a lot. Pick some feature of the 5D (or even the lower models) and wish it were more like the 1 series. What people are really wishing for is 1 series performance at the price point of "at most" the 5D.

I would wish that at the size and weight of the 5D.

Then you wouldn't have the amazing battery life of the 1 series and (I presume) a slower internal motor... maybe less build strength too.

I think its funny how so many don't like the 1-series size and weight but when it comes to the highly regarded 70-200mm f2.8L IS, no one seems to care too much.

I too don't like the heaviness of the 1 series... but advantages comes with disadvantages. I have another much smaller camera that performs just as well for those times I don't want to carry the weight.

I for one will stick with my 1D markII (purchased used a few years ago at a bargain price), it takes wonderful photos and fits me well. I don't "feel" the urge to move up. I might in the distant future buy a used 5D but most likely not... I've been de-investing in Canon for a while now.

I have to say though... from a business perspective, the 5D will be a tough act to follow for Canon. Sliding that camera, packed full with HUGE features (full frame is the big one), between the 20D and 1 series was an absolutely brilliant decision. Mind yah.. this was done back in 2005 and I bet the sales for the 5D is still strong and will continue to be strong until its replacement is available.

For me this is not so much of a problem for indoor work or when near any kind of civilisation, but when I do longer expedition style hikes, every ounce counts. And I have enough weight with lenses and tripod already ;)

Also, my current gear (excluding tripod, but including laptop) just about goes as carry-on baggage on planes in Europe. with a 1-series I would be in trouble already.

I am lucky though, as I do not need the fps everybody seems to be keen about :)

Then you wouldn't have the amazing battery life of the 1 series and (I presume) a slower internal motor... maybe less build strength too.

I think its funny how so many don't like the 1-series size and weight but when it comes to the highly regarded 70-200mm f2.8L IS, no one seems to care too much.

I too don't like the heaviness of the 1 series... but advantages comes with disadvantages. I have another much smaller camera that performs just as well for those times I don't want to carry the weight.

Your right...

In fact the I purchased the camera from a very well known photojournalist in the area. He was offloading two 1d-markIIs to fund a couple 5Ds. Lighter, durable enough, and excellent image quality were reasons he gave me. I'm sure he had the same issues... Other photogs I've met, don't seem to care much. Then again.. what do I know, I am just a hobbiest. heheh lol

I for one am de-investing in Canon mainly because I am finding SLRs in general a bit cumbersome for ME.. sometimes to the point that it takes the fun out of the whole experience. SLR lenses just seem to be bigger in size and weight then they need to be (just like the bodies) Each and everytime I stop by my fav local camera store, I keep ending up holding the Pentax K10D. Keep in mind that I'm an old Pentax shooter until Pentax pretty much fell off the planet in the 90s. I keep marveling at the compact size, features packed in it, the weather sealing, and the bright viewfinder. I challenge such a Canon shooter as yourself to check out the K10D. The compactness versus features just might be enough to convince you... and save your back as well.

BTW... The pentax guys are also waiting the K20D which is also suppose to be announced any day now. Rumor is 14.6 mp sensor. At a fraction of the equivalent Canon. (K10D was $800 USD with kit lens)

Well...Photokina 2008 starts in a week. I'm getting antsy to see if Canon will release a 5D replacement.

Guess we will soon see!!!!

hmmm...that's kind of interesting. I just went to Canon's site to look at their lineup of DSLRs (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111), and if you look at their banner ad at the top for a few seconds, one comes up called 'Destined Evolution'. If you click on it, it opens a new window with the shot of a Canon camera body partly in shadow in front of the moon, with the words 'Destined Evolution' again, and that's all there is.

Could be a teaser for the 5D replacement?

Most reactions

Back