Anyone here shoot a lot of video with a d800?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So It's getting close to purchase time here and I thought I'd ask a few questions. I am looking to get a "one bag" solution. I normally tote out my big ole video camera to projects and I want something smaller and easier to move around.

1. How is the shutter roll?

2. how well does it handle panning and other motion shots?

3. How is the file size for the videos?

4. How is battery life when shooting video?

5. What kind of audio setup do you use?

6. Is there audio metering on the camera?

7. have any samples?

Hi runnah - Is there a specific reason you're looking at the D800?

Coming from a video camera, you may be surprised by its lack of video autofocus and its 30 minute clip length limit.

You may also be surprised by the its susceptibility to a shot-ruining phenomenon called moire (see rooftops in this video - please watch at 720p):

For video, there are much better still/video hybrid choices, in my view.

The Canon 5D Mark III is resistant to moire, but has no video autofocus.

The Nikon D7100 is resistant to moire and has so-so video autofocus.

The Canon 70D has absolutely bulletproof video autofocus, but is moire-prone and has no headphone jack.

The Panasonic GH3 is resistant to moire, has a headphone jack, has good video autofocus and is the only one of these cameras than can record for hours continuously instead of just 30 minutes.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks bill. I am sticking with nikon because of the investment made thus far. Ideally I am more worried about still images rather than video.

What I am looking for is the ability to travel light and move quickly. I want to be able able to conduct and interview and get decent b roll of various activities. For more in depth shooting I'd go back to our main camera.

Really my goal is to have one bag, one camera and one tripod to carry around.

Thanks for the feedback, runnah. I completely understand needing to stick with Nikon because of sunk cost in lenses and accessories.

In that case, you may want to think about getting one of the new crop-sensor Nikons (the D5200 or D7100). They are compatible with your Nikon lenses, produce video images that are just as good as the D800, are moire-resistant and cost $thousands less.

Here is a side-by-side of the $2797 D800 and the $697 D5200. See the moire on the window above the dog's head at 1:17 in the D800 shot - same shot is clean from the D5200 (please watch at 1080p):

The D7100 is just as moire-resistant as the D5200, is weathersealed and has a headphone jack. For video, the $1147 D7100 is Nikon's best DSLR.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So what is causing the moire? Is it just inherent in the hardware?

That video is tough because I see areas where the D800 is better (mid tones in low light), and where the 5200 is better (highlights and no moire).

Do those anti-moire filters actually work without frigging up optical quality?

VAF-D800 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter

I'm a bit short of time to give this question the answer it deserves right now. I use a D800E for reasons similar to yours, and I sometimes use the Mosaic Engineering filter you mention. It's not always necessary, however. More later.

Not sure why the emphasis on 30-minute video clips, unless the idea is to videotape lectures that last for over 30 minutes. And also not so sure on why the emphasis on autofocus during video...autofocus during video is kind of an amateur move...most people who have any aspirations of cinematic quality turn AF OFF when filming a scene.

Not sure why the emphasis on 30-minute video clips, unless the idea is to videotape lectures that last for over 30 minutes. And also not so sure on why the emphasis on autofocus during video...autofocus during video is kind of an amateur move...most people who have any aspirations of cinematic quality turn AF OFF when filming a scene.

Yeah time duration of clips is a non issue. Most of my clips max at 30-60 seconds.

Spot on about the AF. My college professor famously said "AF is the devil!". Find a shot, set it up record and move. Panning and zooming while recording is also bush league.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back