Anyone Interested in Starting a Photography Group[online]

oookkkk.. shut up ya buggers! :D

I am the only one allowed to troll around here :p

Now, back to the OT, I understand, having a domain for yourself to upload is fun, in fact I myself have several.
But I guess finding "fans" will be difficult. Do you want to
the "fans" to sponsor your domain? Or what is the idea?

Alright, now that I have had some fun I'm going to throw some advice at you because I have my own domain and I have been through what you are trying to start...

1. Buy a domain and webspace... You can do so at www.1and1.com They are probably the cheapest and they also offer software to assist you in building your site. It pretty good and will assist someone who has Zero experience. It's like $5.00 per month too for the entire service so it's good and cheap.

2. Have a catchy domain name that people will easy remember. Something short, clever, and easy to spell works nicely.

3. Someone else said this, but focus on your favorite style of photography. A site on photography in general will be much more difficult to attract people to because there are so many others. I've actually thought of doing a website for Everglades photography. Do a site dedicated to something you like to shoot.

4. Advertising, and this one's important. Do not go into other photo message boards and start trying to recruit people. You will only get flamed. Some message boards have areas where you can post your site. Do this, but do not post up like your recruiting. Put something like, "Hey everyone, I started a website dedicated to Everglades Photography, so if you want, check it out and tell me what you think or even help contribute." If your site is good, they will come back. Also, use search engines. It's difficult to get to the top, but 1and1.com offers a free service that helps get your site listed higher. Lastly, get t-shirts and business cards made up. They come in handy for local advertising and are relatively cheap. I can tell you vistaprint.com is a good place to get cards done. Lastly, use your signature to prop up your website on every message board that you are member of, but keep it simple and never be overbearing about it.

5. Make sure you update your site allot. Updating keeps people coming back. The first six months your site is up, traffic will be low. It's very difficult to build a following unless you have something good. Don't expect to have a massive forum like this. I can tell you, it's very difficult.

6. Myspace and Facebook. Create a myspace page and a facebook page to supplement your website. It's a great way to indirectly advertise. Go out and friend the entire world, it will help get you traffic.

Alright, I don't think I left too much out. Like I said, be prepared for the first 6 months or so to suck. It's just the way it is. My radio station took forever to get people listening. I'm averaging about 500 listener hours a month which is pretty good for an independently owned station. It has been consistently growing. You can check out my site which is run through using 1and1.com. As you can see by my forums, It's difficult to get them up and going. My site is www.RingerRadio.com and my myspace page is www.myspace.com/ringerradio ( I had to throw a meaningless plug in there) Being that you are only 15, start small, and it will slowly grow. The Scotch and Valium I had this morning were great.. :lol:

hmm, I think the original poster might be gone.
I'm new here too but I agree with Chewy....there's something to be said about diplomacy and the lack of it that borders on flaming.

Yeah, summer always washes the kids into the forum who are usually in school or college... Most never get comfortable with written communication... maybe there ought to be smilies that they can insert for "like" and "ya know what I'm sayin'?" to ensure no one misunderstands one another, or has to parse for possible humor.

If you are looking for a critique site only, though it has forums too but they are not very good, look at photosig. It is really a way to have your shots looked at and commented on and rated. Now you may notget everyone rated but that says something too. But for the most part you will get at least one if not many more comments and ratings. They have people from around the world too. Now this site is more friendly on the C&C and the forums are much more active and has a better exchange of ideas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back