Anyone know any good documentaries?

Thanks for contributing guys. I'm looking up a few right now -- definitely saw a few I skipped over on my own -- and have a list to keep me busy for days haha. Just started Food Inc. and it's good so far!

@Tee: Good luck with surgery! Hope you make a speedy recovery!

Thanks for contributing guys. I'm looking up a few right now -- definitely saw a few I skipped over on my own -- and have a list to keep me busy for days haha. Just started Food Inc. and it's good so far!

@Tee: Good luck with surgery! Hope you make a speedy recovery!

If you end up enjoying all of Food Inc. I highly recommend reading some of Joel Salatin's writings. He is well worth a read. Enjoy your documentaries.

I just watched "I'm Still Here" a documentary about Joaquin Phoenix and I found it to be hilarious.... Even though I am not sure it was intended to be.

"Chick Flick"... the true story of Mike the headless chicken

and "It Might Get Loud" with Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page

And there's one I can't remember the name of. It is an old 8mm film that this one guy made of his life in the great white north. He built a cabin, grew a garden, hunted and fished for his food and built literally everything he needed to survive a winter in the frozen north by himself. He is the only person in the film and he shot it all himself. I've seen it on PBS a few times.

@rick: I'm watching Bowling for Columbine right now! I took down your other suggestions as well, thanks :)
@sam: Gah, unfortunately I couldn't get through Food Inc. (will have to revisit it later) but I'll have to look up this Salatin fellow
@molestedcow (lol sweet username :lol:) : I want to say I already watched this (or something related to this) on NatGeo, ahh.. he was.. a drug lord, yes? *Googles*
@heytyler : That's so funny I was just reading about this! I might have to check that one out as well, lol
@tuffy: Gah, first one sounds a bit too morbid for me, but the third one sounds like it's right up my alley. Trying to muster a title from google but if you happen to remember it please let me know!

I have to agree: "The King of Kong" and "The Cove" are great documentaries.
If you're interested in movies, than I recommend "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" which deals with the American Censoring.
And "Heckler" which is about critics and how actors deal with it.

For more nature documentaries I highly recommend "Earth" (2007) and BBC's mini series "Life in the Undergrowth" which is about insects and has some brilliant macro shots. One of my favorite documentaries ever!

Greetings,
Matthias.

I have to agree: "The King of Kong" and "The Cove" are great documentaries.
If you're interested in movies, than I recommend "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" which deals with the American Censoring.
And "Heckler" which is about critics and how actors deal with it.

For more nature documentaries I highly recommend "Earth" (2007) and BBC's mini series "Life in the Undergrowth" which is about insects and has some brilliant macro shots. One of my favorite documentaries ever!

Greetings,
Matthias.

I'm definitely going to give The King of Kong a watch and if I can find a good resolution of The Cove it'll be next on my watch list :) I know I saw This Film is Not Yet Rated on Netflix and want to say that I also saw Heckler, so I'll definitely give those two a go one of these nights! Nature documentaries are definitely by far my favorite (I have the whole series of Earth and Planet Earth on blu-ray haha couldn't resist!) so I'll definitely be checking out that insect one .. as long as they aren't in the room with me, they're awesome xD

Thanks!

And there's one I can't remember the name of. It is an old 8mm film that this one guy made of his life in the great white north. He built a cabin, grew a garden, hunted and fished for his food and built literally everything he needed to survive a winter in the frozen north by himself. He is the only person in the film and he shot it all himself. I've seen it on PBS a few times.

"Alone in the Wilderness". That's an awesome flick. The man's name is Dick Proenneke.

I just watched "I'm Still Here" a documentary about Joaquin Phoenix and I found it to be hilarious.... Even though I am not sure it was intended to be.

Well it was all a big joke, so I would guess that is what they intended.

Superasian, if you are interested in doccos, it might be worth watching at least one of Nick Broomfield's films. The Leader, His Driver and the Driver's Wife and Fetishes are classic Nick.

@Tee : Thanks! Got it written down now.

@Helen: I've added those to my list, thanks!

Just started Being Elmo .. it has a more serious tone than I thought it would have (in a good way) and it's surprisingly sentimental. It's quite good if any of you are interested in checking it out!

@Tee : Thanks! Got it written down now.

@Helen: I've added those to my list, thanks!

Just started Being Elmo .. it has a more serious tone than I thought it would have (in a good way) and it's surprisingly sentimental. It's quite good if any of you are interested in checking it out!

He beat me to it with the title. Yes that's the one I was recommending. 50 year-old man builds a cabin in the Alaska wilderness in 1967 with just simple tools and a lot of knowhow. Proceeds to live off the land for 30 years. Made a home movie of the building of the cabin and his early life there. Fascinating.
Here's a little more about it. I'm sure there are other sources for it

PBS: Alone in the Wilderness DVDs - Alone In the Wilderness PBS Video

Most reactions

Back