Anyone know the diff Canon ET-86, ET-83 lens hood for 70-200 2.8L??

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I didn't get the hood with my 70-200 2.8L and am looking to order one online. There is the Canon ET-86 which is for the IS version. I have the non IS, and the hood is Canon ET-83. But the lens is the same size so what gives?? I'm guessing the OEM hood is felt lined like the F4 version. Anyone know if there are any aftermarket ones like this. Or have any suggestions for one.

The non-IS version I believe is not quite as long (7.6" as opposed to 7.8" for the IS version) and the petals are ever-so-slightly larger on the IS version. Best idea is to order the one intended for the lens. both should have the felt interior, though.

Did you buy the lens used?

L lenses come with a hood...

But yeah - get the one called out for your lens.

Yeah I bought it used, I bought it from a wedding photographer who didn't use it because it was too heavy for him. He said if he come across the hood he will call, but he said he hasn't used it in a while. I was just curious, so the Canon ET-83 version it is. Anyone think the OEM has anything the aftermarket ones dont? I don't think they have the "fur" :)

If I had a full frame I might think this to be a concern, but on a crop body I would think I would be ok. From what I see most of them have the exact same dimensions on the pedal style hoods that the OEM ones do anyways though.

Most reactions

Back