Anyone learning Spanish

ahelg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here is learning or knows Spanish. I'm trying to setup a Spanish forum. I've setup the forums and I'm hoping to open them in a couple of days time. I was just wondering if anyone here is interested in Spanish and if so if they would be interested in comming to the forum. The forum will cover Spanish Culture. There will be a section for food, movies, etc and various forums for language learning. I'm also concidering having a secion for tourism and travel, but the big question is, will there be enough interested people. Therefore I thought I might ask for advice. This forum is doing very well. A good, well behaved :) community which can't be mached by other photography forums.

P.S. I'm using SMF as my forum as I don't have the money to spend on expensive forums like vBulletin.

I WANT to learn spanish. If this has some great way of teaching me. I'm totally there %110 percent overloaded.

I promise I won't behave.

Yo quero espanol.

I'd also be interested. (And glad to say I even understood all of what Unimaxium said! :))

¿Dónde está el baño?

I know the important stuff. :p

One of the things I find amusing in movies is when a character that doesn't speak Spanish tries to.

He'll ask someone: "¿Hablo Español?" (Do I speak Spanish?)
Or in response to someone saying something in Spanish to him: "No habla Español." (You don't speak Spanish.)

Okay, I'm easily amused.

Blimey. Not only did I discover people interested in Spanish, but even an Esperantist.

At the moment I'm waiting for my new bankcard to arrive in the post. Once it's recieved I'll purchase my domain names and make the forum public. Hopefully it will arive tomorrow.

Kion vi fartas mia amiko? (that's esperanto by the way)

Also a note to bace. There's no need for the Yo in yo quiero español. Quiero actually means I want so the word Yo is actually part of the word. It's like that with most, but not all spanish verbs. Llamar (to be called) is an exception. I'd have to say me llamo Aleksander and not llamo Aleksander.

ahelg said:
Also a note to bace. There's no need for the Yo in yo quiero español. Quiero actually means I want so the word Yo is actually part of the word. It's like that with most, but not all spanish verbs. Llamar (to be called) is an exception. I'd have to say me llamo Aleksander and not llamo Aleksander.

You're mostly correct, although it is not grammatically incorrect to say what bace said. You can add 'yo' before a verb to give emphasis to the fact that you're talking about yourself. Also, what you're talking about with llamar is a reflexive verb, which is a bit different. When you use the verb llamar, you are saying "to call", but when you use the reflexive form llamarse (or its conjugated forms "me llamo," "te llamas," etc.), it has a different meaning, specifically "to call onself". Thus, saying "llamo" or "yo llamo" means "I call", while "(yo) me llamo" means "I call myself," which makes sense in English as well. This is not an exception to the rule you mention about using "yo" infront of a verb; rather, it is a different situation altogether, since it's involving the word "me" rather than "yo." The word "yo" is just as unnecessary in this circumstance as it is in saying "yo quiero."

;-)

We need to get this forum up fast :lol:

I would be interested in a forum like that...
would it be Mexico Spanish, or Spain Spanish?

PM me with the link if you get it up! :thumbup:

Wigwam Jones said:
What am I? I'm a meat popsicle.

Perhaps you meant 'Kiel vi fartas mia amiko?'

To which I would reply, 'Bone, kaj vi?'

Dankon!

Woops. I guess I've been spending a little to much time on my Spanish and a to little time on my Esperanto. Oh well, I understand more Esperanto than I can speak.

Unimaxium said:
You're mostly correct, although it is not grammatically incorrect to say what bace said. You can add 'yo' before a verb to give emphasis to the fact that you're talking about yourself. Also, what you're talking about with llamar is a reflexive verb, which is a bit different. When you use the verb llamar, you are saying "to call", but when you use the reflexive form llamarse (or its conjugated forms "me llamo," "te llamas," etc.), it has a different meaning, specifically "to call onself". Thus, saying "llamo" or "yo llamo" means "I call", while "(yo) me llamo" means "I call myself," which makes sense in English as well. This is not an exception to the rule you mention about using "yo" infront of a verb; rather, it is a different situation altogether, since it's involving the word "me" rather than "yo." The word "yo" is just as unnecessary in this circumstance as it is in saying "yo quiero."

;-)

We need to get this forum up fast :lol:

Blimey. I'm embarased. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew about the emphasis thing and so on, but I completely forgot about it being llamarse. Am I correct in remembering that llamar actually meant to call as in the kind of calling one would do with a telephone? Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Oh well. I'm doing a two week Spanish course in Valencia this summer. That should make me wiser I hope :).

Also the Spanish I've been doing is spanish Spanish, if you know what I mean. But I believe the only real difference between that and other varients is pronounciation and the fact that they use the polite verb conjugations with usted much more in Latin America than they do in Spain.

Ay, ¡qué interesante! Te llamas Aleksander, pues? Nunca sabía de dónde venía la "a" en tu nombre aquí. Y tu eres Noruego, en proceso de trasladarte a Inglaterra (ya sabemos todos que hablas el inglés perfectamente), y ¿hablas español y además esperanto? ¿Qué más idiomas sabes? Y ¿cuántos idiomas hablas?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back