Anyone left their full time job to do photography full time?

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am sure there are a few on here who photograph for a living, some probably because they have a spouse who has a regular income as well. Has anyone actually quit their primary job to become a full time photographer? You know the bread winner making the switch?

I was just curious (and no way thinking of doing this!). Just thought about all the benefits I recieve through my work, medical/optical/dental, company vehicle, 401k, paid vacation/sick, cell phone, etc. I would love to hear anyone who has...and making it through this economy...and maybe those that failed to make it full time.

Just striking up a Saturday evening conversation.

I dis 3 weeks ago when I got laid off. Been focusing ( no pun intended ) on photography. Lol

close...I want someone who actually left for photography.

Im obviously not a professional photographer, but I don't have any of those benefits in what I chose to do for a living. I see anyone who would choose to give up those benefits as crazy. Yet, at the same time there's no way I could be behind a desk not doing what I love. So who's the crazy one? Also, I'm single & without kids, so I can still do what I want.

The way I see it is that if you already have a good paying job, benefits, the whole nine yards and you get the time off to work on and money to fund your hobby (photography) then you have it made. If you want to use it to make some money on the side, go for it! If you have a family to support, it's probably not the best idea to quit your good job to go chasing a dream.

Anyone that quits a full time well paying job to chase a dream in photography is going to find themselves living a nightmare. I'm not talking about a supported income by anyone else, a person trying to make it as a full time photographer and having only the money they make from photography as the sole source income. It is quite different if a person starts out as a kid shooting and works through the system, whatever their system is, apprentice, second shooter, this would still require a second job to help pay the bills while they learn and hopefully they catch a break or two along the way.

The majority of people on this forum that claim to be professional photographers are also working full time in a field outside of photography. I seriously doubt any of them would give up the "day job" as most couldn't cut it. It's not a shot at anyone, it's just my observations based on the quality of the work, and the comments made on this forum. There are some very good photographers on this forum that aren't and don't pretend to be professionals.

Ryan L said:
I am sure there are a few on here who photograph for a living, some probably because they have a spouse who has a regular income as well. Has anyone actually quit their primary job to become a full time photographer? You know the bread winner making the switch?

I was just curious (and no way thinking of doing this!). Just thought about all the benefits I recieve through my work, medical/optical/dental, company vehicle, 401k, paid vacation/sick, cell phone, etc. I would love to hear anyone who has...and making it through this economy...and maybe those that failed to make it full time.

Just striking up a Saturday evening conversation.

I was a photographer first, then got a job to finance my purchases in order to enjoy the profits I reaped. And I didn't leave, I incorporated them. I used my occupation as a platform to promote and get jobs through the contacts I made. I became both popular and respected in my craft. Thirty years later, I am still getting calls. Leaving is taking leap of faith- just know for sure that it's the right cliff to jump off of.

Once I had worked in the field for different studios, paid attention to how they did business, saved capital, slowly bought equipment and created my own book of business the transition was not hard. People seem to think that Freelancing is the starting point. I believe freelancing and your own business is the ending point. Many people cry "Well everyone needs to start somewhere" when people tell them they don't have the experience/equipment. If you are starting a business without the equipment you need you are not ready. Go work for a studio. Heck even school photos or retail places like the picture people is a better start then jumping into the deep end right away.

Who moved my thread from the dumping ground of TPF!! lol

I was just curious, I think we all say we would love to do photography full time. I know quite a few photographers, but not one is the primary income for the home.

I've been doing photography for almost 40 years now, as a hobby. I've done part time weddings in the past and other money making projects, but have never had any inclination to make photography a full time job. I know I was asked many times if I had considered doing so, but my full time job was what supported our family. Never wanted to have to depend upon possible photo work to pay for the bills. I got to travel around with my job, didn't mind doing it and retired at 57 with full pension, medical and dental benefits, paid for house and late model car. Photography was and always was a hobby for me; it helped me buy new gear and add to the family finances over the years.

Anyone that quits a full time well paying job to chase a dream in photography is going to find themselves living a nightmare. I'm not talking about a supported income by anyone else, a person trying to make it as a full time photographer and having only the money they make from photography as the sole source income. It is quite different if a person starts out as a kid shooting and works through the system, whatever their system is, apprentice, second shooter, this would still require a second job to help pay the bills while they learn and hopefully they catch a break or two along the way.

The majority of people on this forum that claim to be professional photographers are also working full time in a field outside of photography. I seriously doubt any of them would give up the "day job" as most couldn't cut it. It's not a shot at anyone, it's just my observations based on the quality of the work, and the comments made on this forum. There are some very good photographers on this forum that aren't and don't pretend to be professionals.

Holy ****. Do you copy and paste this response from a word document, or do you just look through your older posts until you find a pre-canned response??

Get a life and stop trying to get people to pursue their dreams.

The reality of anyone that supports themselves with a photographic business is that they did not quit their day job to become a photographer. They quit their day job to be come a business man in their own business selling their photographic skills and abilities. A thorough grounding in business is needed to make a go of photography as a main source of income. There are obviously many that have and do make a go of photography as a business. It takes a sense of dedication and hard work that most people neither realize or are prepared to give. I would equate it to opening your own restaurant. Long hours and hard work, combined with good business skills and photographic skills and you can make it.

Last edited:

Holy ****. Do you copy and paste this response from a word document, or do you just look through your older posts until you find a pre-canned response??

You get an honest opinion from me. Are you working as a photographer? I speak from experience, if people are going to ask the same questions then they are going to get similar answers. What you should learn is that those that don't understand shouldn't critize those that do. Everything I said is true, would you be willing to quit a full time well paying job and take a shot at what I do? I really don't care what you think, the gutless speak louder.

I have to add that I do know several newspaper photographers that years ago took a good buy-out and decided to freelance, these were guys making 85k a year working for a local paper, and it wasn't difficult work, a few assignments a day. Within six months they were struggling to find work, and a few ended up in camera stores selling gear.

It's not as easy as 23 year old o hey tyler seems to think it is. At 23 years old you haven't even started life yet.

You get an honest opinion from me.

Are we looking at the same posts? All I see is blather. Go **** yourself.

It's not as easy as 23 year old o hey tyler seems to think it is. At 23 years old you haven't even started life yet.

Yet, you've given so many double knee'd knob gobblers. WHAT'S YOUR SECRET BRO? I MUST KNOW.

(I don't really want to know how you've ended up on your knees so much, it was more of a joke TBQH)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back