Anyone out there know stuff about cars?

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't get spray paint and fix it, the colours will never match in a million years, if you want to do it the cheap way then get something clear to cover it with, wait for it to dry and then wax/buff it for a very long time. It'll still look different to the rest of the car but won't stand out half as much as a different shade of white.

Or you could just get the paint code off the Chassis plate (usually found in the engine bay) and ask a panel shop to match the paint - and get a quote on fixing it. ;)

Xmetal said:
Or you could just get the paint code off the Chassis plate (usually found in the engine bay) and ask a panel shop to match the paint - and get a quote on fixing it. ;)

color code is the way to go if you want to fix it cheap, some will even put it in a spray can so that you dont have to have spray guns and ****.

This looks to me like a paint bonding problem. I’m guessing the surface was not prepped correctly prior to the color coat being applied. American cars had a similar problem back in the 80’s… Environmental laws forced manufacturers to use sub-standard paints and prep techniques.

I doubt your V-Dub falls into the manufacturing fault category though… Is it possible that this area of the car was re-painted at some point? If not, then I would check online for service bulletins regarding this problem. If it is indeed a fault in the manufacturing process, it’s very likely that Volkswagon will repair this for free.

In any case, this is not something the average car owner can repair his/herself. My recommendation? Trade this thing in for a Honda or Toyota.

DepthAfield said:
This looks to me like a paint bonding problem. I’m guessing the surface was not prepped correctly prior to the color coat being applied. American cars had a similar problem back in the 80’s… Environmental laws forced manufacturers to use sub-standard paints and prep techniques.

I doubt your V-Dub falls into the manufacturing fault category though… Is it possible that this area of the car was re-painted at some point? If not, then I would check online for service bulletins regarding this problem. If it is indeed a fault in the manufacturing process, it’s very likely that Volkswagon will repair this for free.

In any case, this is not something the average car owner can repair his/herself. My recommendation? Trade this thing in for a Honda or Toyota.

wow, i would say trading in is a little overkill, especially since a body shop will paint a bumper for a couple hundred bucks. The american cars had a pealing effect, this is an impact effect. the bumper looks as though it was pushed in and then poped back out like it is designed to do. if its done hard enough it will crack the paint

magicmonkey said:
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't get spray paint and fix it, the colours will never match in a million years, if you want to do it the cheap way then get something clear to cover it with, wait for it to dry and then wax/buff it for a very long time. It'll still look different to the rest of the car but won't stand out half as much as a different shade of white.

Bahahahaha! It was a joke...but seriously..a few different colored cans of spray paint would be kind of cool.

doh, I'm terrible at picking up on sarcasm in text! I also drive around in old bangers so I can get away with the cheapest fix going for any problem!

nvr2low said:
wow, i would say trading in is a little overkill, especially since a body shop will paint a bumper for a couple hundred bucks. The american cars had a pealing effect, this is an impact effect. the bumper looks as though it was pushed in and then poped back out like it is designed to do. if its done hard enough it will crack the paint

Agreed, trading the car in on something else might be overkill… But the original poster has admitted that the purchase of this auto was a bad decision. Repairing the defective paint is not going to make this car any more reliable. German built cars (VW in particular) rank far lower than even their American counterparts for reliability. No doubt I’ll be flamed for this comment, but it is true.

I stand by my recommendation to trade the beetle for something with a Japanese brand.

well from the reliability standpoint ok, i wouldnt trade it in just because the paint. I will say that japaneese cars are the most reliable even though i dont ever plan on owning one, i would way rather have a german car.

If I could afford the maintenance, I too would own a German car. They are wonderfully engineered. Perhaps OVER engineered.

My dream car is a ’71 V-8 powered 2-door 280SL Mercedes-Benz. This car marks the high point in M-B engineering and quality… But it doesn’t make it any less a piece of **** from a maintenance standpoint.

For day to day driving with a minimum of headache… You cannot beat Honda or Toyota.

Damn… I hate to retract an opinion from a previous post…

One of the best cars I ever owned was a ’76 Audi Fox. That thing was nearly bulletproof.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciate it, I know nothing about cars!

But yes, I will be trading in the car ASAP. I have never owned such a piece of junk in my life. Which, in all honesty, would be forgiveable if VW had any concept of customer service... But still, with gas prices on the rise and the Lemon only getting 20MPG, it's time for a nice Toyota my friends. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back