anyone own or experienced the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 DCM

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone has had hands on experience with this lens?

I used to have a functional Canon 17-85mm f/4 that broke at the worst time possible. 5 days into a 15 day trip through Europe leaving me with my Canon 10-22 and Canon 70-200mm.

So basically I'm in the market to replace that 17-85 and I don't want the same lens as I've read and experience too many issues with it. When it worked I really liked it, but I'm not willing to take my chances again.

Looking for any advice or even recomendations, keep in mind that I'm trying to keep it under $800 taxes in.

Also my first time delving into something other than Canon.

I have the old Sigma 17-70 and have been very happy with it. I don't know anything about the new version that replaced it though.

The only thing that is somewhat annoying about mine is the zoom creep. If I point the camera straight down I have to hold the zoom ring or the weight of the lens will pull it out to 70mm. That's my only gripe though.

That is good to know that you like it.
From what I've read there were a few minor upgrades but nothing significant.
The one thing they did add to avoid the lens creep was a lock to keep it at 17mm to avoid the creep, which I thought was a nice and easy way to fix that issue.

That is good to know that you like it.
From what I've read there were a few minor upgrades but nothing significant.
The one thing they did add to avoid the lens creep was a lock to keep it at 17mm to avoid the creep, which I thought was a nice and easy way to fix that issue.
Mine has the lock on it, but it ONLY locks at 17mm. If I want to use, say, 40mm (or anything else between 17 and 70) and point the camera straight down then I have to hold the zoom ring.

Mine has the lock on it, but it ONLY locks at 17mm. If I want to use, say, 40mm (or anything else between 17 and 70) and point the camera straight down then I have to hold the zoom ring.

Ahhh, I see what you mean.
That can definitely get annoying. Especially if you have to hold it in a low light situation or longer exposures.
That suddenly doesn't sound so great...

Ahhh, I see what you mean.
That can definitely get annoying. Especially if you have to hold it in a low light situation or longer exposures.
That suddenly doesn't sound so great...
I haven't used it for longer exposures, but if I did I'd just use some electrical tape on the zoom ring to hold it where I want it. Plus, again, it's only a problem pointing virtually straight up or straight down. Anything else is fine.

I haven't used it for longer exposures, but if I did I'd just use some electrical tape on the zoom ring to hold it where I want it. Plus, again, it's only a problem pointing virtually straight up or straight down. Anything else is fine.

That also makes sense.
It's not often that you actually have to be directly up or down and when you do, there's options.
At this price point you have to pick what you're willing to deal with I guess.
I'd rather that than deal with the problems the Canon 17-85mm are known for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back