Anyone played with 58mm f/1.4?

RobertsPhotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.robertsphotography.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the thread title implies, I'm simply wondering if anyone on here has played with the newer 58mm f/1.4 lens from Nikon? I would be putting it on a D800. If you have some experience with it and have something to share.. I would appreciate you doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Sadly, I cannot afford primes at that price range. Jealous of those that can!

I have the 58mm f1.4, and it's a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.
For evening and nighttime shots, it is simply amazing. It gives flare and street lighting an amazing clarity, far, far better than anything else I own including the 85mm f1.4.
However, wide open in daylight or using flash, I find it quite soft and not a patch on my 50mm f1.4g or 85mm f1.4 or any of the holy trinity.
I'm glad I bought it for night photography otherwise I'd have been mighty disappointed with it for £1600!

Thank you so much for that info.

A question for you, Sir. (cowleystjames
)
I have read several reviews for this lens and a few of them note a tendency to back focus. One man claimed it required a +10 adjustment in camera. Have you noticed this, as well?

Not at all, no complaints on back focus with either the D4s or D800e. However, in some situations it seems quite slow to focus over most of my other lenses especially the 24-70 f2.8g and the 85mm f1.4g.
Don't know why it should be but it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back