Anyone recognize this view finder?

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am restoring an old 1910 view camera and this view finder was screwed in to the top. It is not original to the camera because the holes on the bellow table show the original view finder location.

I am curious if anyone is familiar with this type of view finder.

Attachments

• Front view.JPG
    Front view.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Back view .JPG
    Back view .JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 169
  • folded sight.JPG
    folded sight.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 191
It might not be the original finder, but it is an appropriate design for the time.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

It's a Newton finder. A negative lens in front with a rear peep hole.

These were available separately but were often used on early focal plane shuttered cameras (non reflex), from Goerz, Emil Busch, Thornton Pickard, Lancaster, etc.

Ian

Thanks folks you comments pointed me in the right direction. Late 1800's thru early 1900's

Attachments

• Camera view finder.jpg
    Camera view finder.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 172
yes, on many types of foders.

I'm just finishing restoring a Crown Graphic for someone else and had to strip the optical viewfinder to re-paint it. It's exactly the same principle, except the rear window rotates to move the rear sight window for parallax correction at closer distances.

Ian

do you patch the belows or use a roll film adapter?. vin (the spell check quits working often --- That realy bugs me!)

do you patch the belows or use a roll film adapter?. vin (the spell check quits working often --- That realy bugs me!)

I've managed to repair the bellows of the Crown Graphic in question, I have my own ways :D The camera has or rather had a Graflex back which was optional when new but useless as now, it doesn't take normal DDS (film holders) or Graflok roll film back - it need Graflex film packs holders or roll film backs these were used with Graflex SLRs.

Ian

I remember my dad showing me how to fine light leaks on the bellows with a flash light. they dint have any flexable sealents like silicone and epoxy rubber. they replaced the bellows. I have used some black stuff on my old leica curtain that had holes burned by the sun-- no lens cap! I have a few big old cameras with old lenses and a few roll backs. I hate to say; I use a cell phone camera now. vin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back