Anyone use two brands of cameras?

S2K1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I started out shooting with a Canon 300D and currently have a 30D. However, my fiancee and sister both shoot Pentax. I am starting to do wedding photography and my fiancee let's me borrow her Pentax ist*DL as my backup camera just in case my 30D fails on me. I've gotten pretty used to using the Pentax in my spare time and like some things about it and my fiancee refuses to switch over to Canon as she's invested into glass for hers, but likes using my Canon. Does anyone else have two camera brands they switch between? Or am I the crazy one that's going to have to get her to give up the Pentax or me to give up the Canon.

I use two brands, Nikon and Canon... but not really :)

I use Nikon DSLR's and Canon P&S's & video cameras.

I use Canon EOS and a Canon AE-1P, which aren't interchangeable. Basically the same sorta thing.

I have a number of systems but rarely plan on using more than 1 in a single outing. For a wedding, I'd probably find it annoying using a different non-compatible camera as a backup. I'd start saving for a 20D or even a 40D if wedding photography is going to be your future path.

DSLR - Nikon

P&S - Canon ONLY.

I'm with Mike... if each of you likes your respective system, what's the problem? They're camera systems, not religions :lol:

If the two of you are comfortable, whats the rub?
What made me start thinking about it more is I just got myself a 17-50 f/2.8 lens, and she just has the 18-55 kit lens in that focal length, so she wants to get the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 now. It just seems redundant to buy similar lenses(granted the Pentax lens has better build quality than my Tamron) when we could just share lenses if we had compatible systems.

usayit-I plan to get a 40D as a Christmas gift to myself this year, so I'll have my 30D as a backup.

I am in the same boat as JamesD (Canon D350 and AE-1P - no sharing between them). Also Canon p/s powershot 510 and video camera Sony dcr-vx2100

Switching between video cameras is more of a bother believe me. I don't do that much anymore. But with still cameras seems easier.

Just learn both and be happy!

Most reactions

Back