Anyone used the newest yongnuo yn565?

willis_927

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious if anyone has tried, or owns the YN565? My understanding is that it is supposed to be the Yongnuo equivalent of the Canon 580EXII..? How does it compare?

Comments anyone?

I have the YN560 for Pentax.
It's a very nice light for the money. No TTL.
The build quality, for what it is, is pretty darn good.
As good as the Pentax Equivalent , if not better.
Don't know if that helps or not.

Well I have a 560 as well... But I was wondering about the newer 565, which does have TTL.

I got one for Christmas. Unfortunately, I'm a newbie and have never used the 580EXii to give you a direct comparison. The Yongnuo has a nice quality feel to it and so far I have had no problems out of the ETTL and it's works great in slave mode as well. My 7D will fire it wirelessly and it was easy to setup. I just wish you didn't have to use the pop-up flash to make it fire.
It only showed up a week and a half ago and I've only honestly had time to play with it two or three times. But, if I had to find something that I just plain don't like about it, it's that the motor that drives flash's zoom is quite noisy. It kind of sounds like the motor that turns the wheels left and right in a cheap radio controlled car. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that the custom functions menu is very vague and abbreviates EVERYTHING. Maybe it's the newbie in me, but I have no clue what most of the abbreviations mean and have already had to consult the manual more than once to figure them out.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far. Mine came from a seller in China on eBay and I think we paid like $145 for it. Hope this has been at least some help.

---Chris

Anyone else used this flash before?

Hi I'm new to photography and was looking to get a flash for my Nikon d3100 been looking at the youngnuo yn 565ex seen lots of good reports but also a lot of folks report that the flash units break quite easily so looking for a bit of advice there quite cheap on eBay around £100 pounds but if it's not going to last !!

Hi I'm new to photography and was looking to get a flash for my Nikon d3100 been looking at the youngnuo yn 565ex seen lots of good reports but also a lot of folks report that the flash units break quite easily so looking for a bit of advice there quite cheap on eBay around £100 pounds but if it's not going to last !!
I have 2 YN-565EX flashes that I've been using for the past 6 months without a single problem or hiccup, and 2 Canon 580EXII flashes I've been using for years. With subtle differences, they're the same thing, including build quality. I don't see the Yongnuos breaking any easier or sooner than the Canon units, which I've used since they came out in 2008.

My 565 was loaned out to friend a few weeks ago and it came back scratched and beat up a little. Apparently, it survived a fall from around 6' when a light stand got knocked over. It still functions perfectly so that's a decent build quality if you ask me!

---Chris

Last edited:
I have 2 565ex along with my 580ex ii. Has eTTL but no high speed sync which is fine.that's what I have my 580ex ii for.I sometimes prefer the 565 over the 580ex ii for simple shoots like indoor studio shots since I have pocket wizards to control them.

My 7D will fire it wirelessly and it was easy to setup. I just wish you didn't have to use the pop-up flash to make it fire.

---Chris

So are you saying the 565 has its own wireless receiver built in? or were you using it as an optical slave? I've been having a hell of a time finding any solid info on the thing.

I bought two this winter and I love them! I haven't had a problem with either of them. I don't own a Canon flash so I don't have anything to compare them to but they have worked flawlessly for me. Remotely triggered by my 60D every time without fault.

My 7D will fire it wirelessly and it was easy to setup. I just wish you didn't have to use the pop-up flash to make it fire.

---Chris

So are you saying the 565 has its own wireless receiver built in? or were you using it as an optical slave? I've been having a hell of a time finding any solid info on the thing.

They can be used with a built in optical slave. I'm not sure about the 7D but my 60D can trigger them using the built in flash and on board programming. It uses a pre-flash to "signal" them.

---Chris

They can be used with a built in optical slave. I'm not sure about the 7D but my 60D can trigger them using the built in flash and on board programming. It uses a pre-flash to "signal" them.

Awesome. I'm looking at picking one up, or maybe two 560's, but I'm leaning towards the 565. You haven't had any issues with yours burning out after a month or so of use? There is a concerning number of reviews on Amazon for people getting ones DOA.

Awesome. I'm looking at picking one up, or maybe two 560's, but I'm leaning towards the 565. You haven't had any issues with yours burning out after a month or so of use? There is a concerning number of reviews on Amazon for people getting ones DOA.
Nope Thee months in and still running strong! I'm not shooting with them every day mind you, but they have held up fine for me. Go ahead take the leap, you really can't go wrong for the price.

I'm ordering two of them on next week, have been a bit unsure about them due to a fair few bad reviews on them, saying they've broken after a few hours, but this thread has made me a little more confident!! Has anyone had problems with added duty tax to them with them being sent from china?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back