Anyone using a telescope with their alpha mount?

MetroRuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 6 year old son is really begging me to get him a telescope to look at nebulas and planets. Id love to be able to take photos of our findings. Can anyone direct me to a setup that would be compatible with my A57? Price range is no higher than $500

Thanks

My daughter and her husband gave me a telescope for Christmas that I am impressed with. It has not seen much use yet, but once the weather straightens out it will see some action. It is a Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ. There are camera adapters that require a T adapter for mounting on the 'scope. They are reasonably priced. The 'scope is a reflector, and about 18 inches long. You can do a search online and see some pretty impressive YouTube videos on them out there. B&H sells them and the accessories. Price-wise, under $300 for 'scope plus most accessories.

Phil

Sent from my SM-T800 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

3-1/2 years old

zombiethread1.jpg

The Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ is kind of famous among amateur astronomers experienced with helping people learn to use a first telescope, and not in a good way.
I helped a guy with one this last summer. He bought it right after Astronomy day in the Spring.
He came to our astronomy club's Outreach event at the local library.
I recommended he check with an experienced member in the club before he bought a telescope.
He didn't.
He was kind of astonished how much clearer and sharper the views were in my 80 mm (3.1") refractor compared to his 127 mm (5").

To keep the length of the tube short, and the telescope cheap, the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ uses a Jones-Bird optical system that greatly hinders how well the telescope can perform.
Newtonian telescope - Wikipedia

As long as you keep the magnification low and don't use the included 3x Barlow, it's an OK first telescope.
There are others in the under $300 price range that perform way better and are a better value.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back