Anyone using Sigma 12-24 wide angle lens?

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello;
I am a Pentax K10D user and am interested in Sigma 12-24 wide angle lens. Does anyone know this lens here and if yes do you advice it or are there other alternatives? 12-24 has got wider angle than 10-20 and this is why I will choose it. I want to shoot landscapes and touristic places by this lens. Is it suitible for that? Thanks for the replies.

10-20 is wider than 12-24

Wow, thanks for the super fast answer:)
yeah you are right I saw the 35mm format angle of 12-24, when I look the SD format of both 10-20 is wider. So I found 10-20 cheaper than 12-24. What is the advantage of 12-24?

I believe the 12-24mm can be used on 35mm film or full frame digital. The 10-20mm (I think) is meant for digital 'crop' bodies only. That's the main difference.

i guess the advantage is it zooms 4mm further than the 20

so i guess the question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to have those extra 2mm on the wide end, or the extra 4 mm on the zoom end

i have the canon 10-22 and i love it with the crop sensor of my xti

Thanks to you two, for your fast answers. You are right Mike 10-20 is only for APSC sized sensors. 12-24 lens includes Aspherical technology which means less components so light lens but does it mean better optical quality? Actually I dont care about 4 mm zoom or 2 mm wide. But do you think (or know) there would be image quality difference for example in sharpness or etc? Also a note: 10-20 is F4-5.6, 12-24 is F4.5-5.6 aperture is nearly the same.And Hashashin generally for what purpose do you shoot with 10-22?

12-24 lens includes Aspherical technology
I'd bet the other one does as well.

I have the Canon 10-22mm as well. It's a great landscape lens. Take a look at the link in my signature. Many of my shots in that thread were taken with that lens. It's a Canon lens, so not an option for you...but it should give you a good idea of the type of shots you can shoot with a wide lens like that.

I'd bet the other one does as well.

I have the Canon 10-22mm as well. It's a great landscape lens.

ive never used the sigma so i can't tell you how the optical quality will be on either of these, do a search on google, im sure you can find some reviews pretty quickly

Thanks Mike,
I had looked to your beautiful photos about a month ago (really couldn't take my eyes off them), and yeah 10-20 seems to be suitable for me if you took yours by 10-22. Hashashi thanks for your advice, I did it and found a lot of confusing advices:) Sigma 10-20 seems to be OK. Thanks guys for your fast and helpfull replies.

So since were on the subject (not to hijack this thread) but I was looking at the same lenses today and wondering at what mm does the pic start to bend?I have a 17-55 lens but it's a junk kit lens and I have a 28mm prime but it's a 42 on my Dlsr so I need something wider for my Dlsr I was kinda throwing around the idea of a zoom but how big of a loss is it on wide angle lenses?

I have the 10-20mm Sigma, personally a lot better value for money over the canon lens, and a lot of people i know will rate the sigma as being no different to the canon. As for the 12-24mm, i got no idea, but i do love the 10-20mm.
You dont really understand how wide these are untill you get your first chance to use them, but i know either one of those lenses you will really enjoy.

I have the 10-20mm Sigma, personally a lot better value for money over the canon lens, and a lot of people i know will rate the sigma as being no different to the canon. As for the 12-24mm, i got no idea, but i do love the 10-20mm.
You dont really understand how wide these are untill you get your first chance to use them, but i know either one of those lenses you will really enjoy.

Hi Goldeeno;
As you mentioned, the 10-20 Sigma seems to be good choice. Thanks for the advice which will be very usable for me.

Most reactions

Back