Anyone With A Digital Camera And Facebook Is A Pro

I never understood the value of Facebook. Never looked into it seriously. Tried it for a couple days. Didn't care for it. Took 30 days for the account to close!

you should follow all the cat meme feeds like I do.

Like @SquarePeg I follow FB for family photos. However it seems like there are times when that becomes a double edge sword. When I was child families made it a point to travel to see family, now with FB it's easy to forgo the travel.

I blocked and unfollowed most my family. rofl.

I blocked and unfollowed most my family. rofl.

I have 3 people blocked and they are also all family, lol. Annoying brother, swearing every post cousin's husband, emotionally needy cousin

Well I'm not the only person in my family with a camera and a bit of an idea of what they're doing.

Also I'm only photographing since, I dunno, 5 years now ?

So I wasnt in this situation yet.

Last time my husbands cousin tried to show off her "professional" photos to me I bit my tongue and responded with "looks like you're getting some practice!" She saw me out taking photos of the farm one weekend and a few weeks later when we were visiting she pulls out her brand new camera (the same camera I have, Canon 70D) and announces that she's now a professional photographer. She went and took one class at a local college and thinks she's an expert. She's always trying to get people to buy calendars and what not and does photos for family weddings (she charges them, always bragging about how she's being paid to attend). I haven't had the heart to tell her that 90% of her photos suck, nothing like a wedding portrait with a huge shadow going right through the couples face. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that I'm tons better than she is but at least I know I'm not good enough to charge for photos.

Edited for several typos.

I attended a street fair yesterday and there was a woman selling 11x14 prints, matted on 16x20 board for $15.00. Her stuff didn't interest me, mostly landscapes and flowers but more or less competent, if unexciting inkjet prints. She also had notecards. I figure they had to be done by some automated service where the files were read, adjusted, printed and matted for a fixed fee, but I didnt ask because I couldn't get my head around selling a print for 15$. How can this be done without losing money? Not to mention how it cheapens others' images. I totally get how it's photography and doesn't have the pricing structure of other media, and I totally get that these are not hand made and are probably done for people with limited resources looking for something they can "live with" but $15? Really?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back