Anyone with any experience mounting prints to substrate?

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here's the question for the pro's.

I'm looking at purchasing a Fletcher terry substrate cutter to get perfect lines on Gatorboard, or any other mounting surface for prints.
The machine is about 2 grand. This is what mpix and everyone else uses. I can do this by hand, but it's easy to make a mistake and it's time consuming.
When I mount a print and it's 1/16 of an inch off after the cut, I find this unacceptable. Then you have to start all over, kind of.
I doubt anyone else would find this trying, but I am a perfectionist of sorts. When I do things I want them in exacting tolerances.

I'm trying to save a few bucks, because I want one of these.
file_11.jpg

I ran across this, which appears to be the same thing as the Fetcher machine, only substantially cheaper at 799.00
Onyx901.gif

It's called an Oynx 90, and compares favorably with Fletcher at less than half the cost.
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.
And/or the vacuum press system posted above.
I can do all this stuff by hand, but these tools will make the job easier.
Probably more professional too.

Tips will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
LS

When I mount a print and it's 1/16 of an inch off after the cut, I find this unacceptable. Then you have to start all over, kind of.
I doubt anyone else would find this trying, but I am a perfectionist of sorts. When I do things I want them in exacting tolerances.

Never used one and dont have the cash for one, but here is my method with the humble exacto, steel straight edge and dexter mat cutter ( a cutter on a rail would speed stuff up). After the mat is cut, mount on a slightly larger substrate. You can be sloppy about this. Sandwich the mat and substate, center the image, use an drafting pencil to locate the outside of the mat board on the too-large substrate. Exacto to your pencil marks. Perfect every time and crazy precise.

Have you decided on your ultimate goal? Is Gatorboard your substrate of choice, given that you are a perfectionist? Have you looked at others, like Sintra, Ultra Mount and Dibond? Do you ever think you might try face mounting to acrylic ("Plexi") or coated acrylic? How much of this do you intend to do? Would an accurate handheld cutting system, like the method Proteus uses be OK? Do you cut after mounting? I ask these questions because your choice of cutting system(s) will probably depend on the answers.

Most reactions

Back