Anywhere from 1 day, to 7 days exposure.

Very good info limir. I'm looking up pinhole adapters for my DSLR right now. Right now my Inet is at like 60kbs so the website "http://www.mrpinhole.com/index.php" Is taking a while to load. But I am defiantly very interested in the whole area of pinhole photography. I'll be looking into that a lot more. So let me get this straight. With pinhole photography, You can not only boost the exposure to hours when using (example) f/199, but also get insane DoF? I could google this, but just for sake of asking here, do you know it's possible to get an adapter And still put filters on it, to get even longer exposures? Even if I don't get this right now before my brothers birthday, I can still take a lot of images and then stack them. But then I will at least know and I can start practicing. Any idea on where to find a pinhole adapter anyways? Althought i'll probably have to use my film camera for that art if I want to do it correctly :p

Very good info limir. I'm looking up pinhole adapters for my DSLR right now. Right now my Inet is at like 60kbs so the website "http://www.mrpinhole.com/index.php" Is taking a while to load. But I am defiantly very interested in the whole area of pinhole photography. I'll be looking into that a lot more. So let me get this straight. With pinhole photography, You can not only boost the exposure to hours when using (example) f/199, but also get insane DoF? I could google this, but just for sake of asking here, do you know it's possible to get an adapter And still put filters on it, to get even longer exposures? Even if I don't get this right now before my brothers birthday, I can still take a lot of images and then stack them. But then I will at least know and I can start practicing. Any idea on where to find a pinhole adapter anyways? Althought i'll probably have to use my film camera for that art if I want to do it correctly :p

Yup, with a pinhole essentially everything is in focus. Depending on the focal length, there is some distortion, though.

There are a lot of DIY instructions for turning your body cap into a pinhole, and I imagine you could jerry-rig some filters on top of that. Just use rubber bands. Essentially, go low-tech with the high-tech camera ;)

Or...you could get a Holga pinhole "lens" at B&H for $25: Holga Pinhole Lens for Canon DSLR Camera 298120 B&H Photo Video (they have one for Nikon as well - that's just the first one that came up.)

and the filter adapter: Holga Lens/Filter Holder 147120 B&H Photo Video

And for a little eye candy, check out this guy's work: Paul Mitchell ARPS
and ipernity: Pinhole by Paul Mitchell

As tight as money is today, and the reviews on the nikon are not impressive... I think it would be a safer bet to buy a pack of body caps and experiment with those? I still will get into it with my film camera, but I also would like to see results with my DSLR. So, ir your opinion, would you spend $25 and buy the pinhole lens, or would you DIY one, as you said there are many tuts for that?

Don't forget to cover your viewfinder eyepiece otherwise you'll get green/purple haze on everything due to light leakage with things more than 30 seconds (in mild daylight) and things above 4 minutes (in the darker evening) ... I have examples if you want to see lol

I was thinking solar filters might help you too .. but the ones I looked at cost more than your entire camera setup.

As tight as money is today, and the reviews on the nikon are not impressive... I think it would be a safer bet to buy a pack of body caps and experiment with those? I still will get into it with my film camera, but I also would like to see results with my DSLR. So, ir your opinion, would you spend $25 and buy the pinhole lens, or would you DIY one, as you said there are many tuts for that?

I'd do it myself. I think it allows you more control over the set-up, especially if you are going to figure on filters as well. And honestly, the Holga accessories are convenient, but then they just suck you in to one more adapter, one more filter turret, one more...you name it. Lomo sucks you in that way so it's probably best to stay away from that wormhole unless you are clear on exactly what you want to get from them, nothing more.

Get some body caps and keep a soda can to cut up for the actual pinhole. Also get some black tape. Lots of info - just google "pinhole dslr body cap" or something along those lines.

Plus it's more fun to do it yourself :) My first pinhole camera was made from a box I found in a junk shop for $5 and I develop the paper in a homemade developer based on instant coffee. Can't even tell you how exciting it was to get my first good image from that :)

Just ordered 2 caps. Before I go drilling away.. :p On a tut they say to use a size 7 needle. Couldn't I use a smaller one if I have one? after all the smaller the better right? I'll also fix myself up with some strong ND filters so I can keep it open for a long time :) Thanks a lot for the great input.

Yup, you can go as small as you want. Though there are "optimal" hole sizes depending on the distance between the hole and the sensor (or film). It doesn't mean that you won't get images, but perhaps that the distortion or vignetting might be exaggerated. You can find the optimal size hole on the Mr.Pinhole site, and then if you have a way of measuring your needles, there are also calculators to determine its f-stop and exposures. Mr. Pinhole pretty much rocks.

Good luck and have fun! Post pics when ya have 'em :)

So it's on bulb right now with the pinhole. The first 30sec exposure was quite too dark. That's a good sign. but the problem is the focus. Could you tell me by chance, is the body cap to close, or too far away. If it's too far way, I can fix this really easily. So if you know which it is, it would be really helpful. thanks.

Well. There's always an element of chance with a pinhole. Mine don't even have viewfinders so I have to sort of guess what's in the frame. As for focus, you don't really need to worry about it. Everything will be more or less in focus. Not really sharp as a tack, but in focus.

Here, I found this for dslr pinhole shots: Pinhole photography: how to take the perfect digital pinhole photo | Digital Camera World

I have never done this with a dslr - don't even own one - so I don't know the best way to do about it with more high tech gear or what factors will be different trying this with digital as opposed to film. But even so, as I said, there's always more of an element of chance with pinhole photography than there is with 'regular' photography.

Find a machine shop with a laser. And an owner willing to help a guy out. The 'net is your friend here.

Sorry I haven't replied. the login button has been broken for hours :( But how's a laser gonna help me out here..?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't replied. the login button has been broken for hours :( But how's a laser gonna help me out here..?

A laser-cut pinhole will be nice and clean. Sometimes the pin itself can warp the hole or leave fragments that can affect the image. A machinist might also be able to make a smaller hole than you can yourself with a pin, even if he or she is using a drill instead of a laser.

Drill a largish hole in the cap. Cover that with tinfoil. The pinhole goes in the tinfoil. Or the copper sheet or whatever. The point is that the body cap is not the thing with the actual pinhole. Maybe you're way ahead of me tho.

It would be more feasible, on the camera and the wallet to do several exposures everyday then put them together. Multiple days is going to tax the processors in any camera, not to mention fill up even the largest card. ND filters + f/22 would still be a must, but I'm think even the strongest ND filter at the most closed down aperture is still going to produce an overexposed photo. Lots of good info from these guys ^^. Good luck! I'm excited to see the result.

Most reactions

Back