Aperture Horror

tracey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All!!!

I received my first dSLR a couple of weeks again and Im having a hell of a time figuring this thing out. Im finding that my pics are overexposed. There is abolutely no detail in certain parts of images. Someone told me that I'm using the wrong aperture. Would someone kindly explain to me the ins and outs of using aperture? Please and many thanks yous!!

Get the book, "Understanding Exposure", and do a search on the "exposure triangle".

It's not just the aperture, it's the relation between aperture, shutterspeed, and ISO.

Also learn how to use the light meter. Read the manual.

Get the book, "Understanding Exposure", and do a search on the "exposure triangle".

It's not just the aperture, it's the relation between aperture, shutterspeed, and ISO.

:thumbsup:

Agreed w/ Bitter jeweler...
Which brings out a question that has been debated so many times here, but.....
Whos shooting in Av (or Ap) "Apature Priority"or what ever your camera calles it?

I find it very difficult also, but I have read my manual about 5 times (reading again). Reading all the C&C posts, that helps alot as I read many different takes on the photo. Also reading "Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies". The "Understanding Exposure" is on my list. My shots were total garbage but now I can see a difference coming through slowly.

ive read it. and it helped A LOT. I really recommend this book.

:thumbup:

If you would post some pictures, along with the exif data we could probably give you a couple of tips.

But yes, Understanding Exposure, read user manual, blah blah blah

Thanks a million!!! I will definitely be doing more research!! Thanks again

All of the above advice is great :)

If your not comfortable using manual instantly, then maybe start off with Aperture or Shutter priority. Nice way to start to understand the basics of exposure. But ultimately - manual all the way, so much control :D

Not only reading but practicing what these books and manuals are telling you. Practice, practice, practice then come here and we'll tell you to practice more.;)

Using aperture priority is the way I work the majority of the time, understanding how the scene needs to be exposed is the key, so when I know I need the exposure correction I'll use compensation or switch to manual. Nikon & all the others developed these systems to aid photographers so I see no need to work full manual all of the time and telling anyone new to the medium its best to work this way is complete nonsense. When you know what is happening inside these computerized boxes, have a good understanding of the exposure triangle and have learnt how to "see" the light work however you like till that time, use auto/p mode, SP, AP, Manual, learning as you progress in your ability. H

Most reactions

Back