Aperture Settings (setting issues)

RicJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All

I finally picked up Understanding exposure and it really helps in understanding what your talking about. One of the first things asked is to set the camera to ISO 200, then set the Aperture to f/8. I can get F 5.6 then it jumps to F 6.3, I cannot seem to get it to F 5.8? I am trying to set it to different apertures as examples of how the picture will change. I can't see anything in my manual on this. I am using a Rebel XSi (Canon).

Any help I would be grateful and hopefully I am making sense!

Hello All

I finally picked up Understanding exposure and it really helps in understanding what your talking about. One of the first things asked is to set the camera to ISO 200, then set the Aperture to f/8. I can get F 5.6 then it jumps to F 6.3, I cannot seem to get it to F 5.8? I am trying to set it to different apertures as examples of how the picture will change. I can't see anything in my manual on this. I am using a Rebel XSi (Canon).

Any help I would be grateful and hopefully I am making sense!

F 5.6 is a common F stop and that is probably what the book meant. 5.8 is not common

First you say f/8 then you say f/5.8, which is it?

Check your camera settings and see if it's set to full stops, half stops or third stops for adjustment.

The aperture in a camera should go from large (f1.8, 4.0) to small (f16, f22). Some cameras will allow less than full stops and it sounds like that is whats going on here (I think the numbers you posted are 1/3 of a stop. Your camera and lens (sorry don't know your camera's features) should be able to go down to at least f16 if not f22. However you're supposed to change the aperture should allow you to do it - are you in manual or aperture priority? If not, that may be your reason.

I feel so foolish, I misread the book and after going over your replies I turned my dial 2 more times and there it was. I got a bit flustered, please allow me to walk away with some dignity :blushing:

Most reactions

Back