Apology from students to unwitting victims ;)

ApSciPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apsciphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I teach darkroom photography at a high school, and want to compose a letter for my students to keep in their camera bags "apologizing" if they are stopped in a situation for photographing for an assignment.

I'm not exactly sure what to include. I want it to be a little humorous, and excessive in situation. A friend of mine had a professor in college her wrote one for her photography students, for the same reason, but no longer has a copy.

Help me make a note for them?

"To whom it may concern:

I am a student of photography at ___________, so if I have unintentionally trespassed on property or personal space, I am truly sorry. I am trying to fulfill the requirements for an assignment...."

What else?!

Why don't you teach photographers rights in your class instead of preparing a cookie cutter note that kids can hand out so they don't have to defend their actions?

It would be 100x more useful than a little "apology note".

If you can tell me how to teach a 14 year old how to not offend everyone in the world, I'll gladly take the lesson. It's more for humor than for anything. I know I've personally been in a number of situations where people have stopped me, asked me what I was doing, and when they found out what I was they were fine with it. A lot of these kids are timid and sometimes need a voice to come from, and if I can provide a letter to help them out, I will.

I don't really understand what the intent of the note is. Why is it stronger than the individual saying, "Oh, I'm sorry if I intruded, I'm a photography student and was working on an assignment". Personally, I would find that a LOT more sincere than a form letter/note.

I agree with the note...it's funny and a good way to let the kids leave a note on a door or something if someone isn't there.....

Teaching them how to speak to the people about it is a good idea as well -- it can be a lesson on how to communicate better I would think.

Wish I had something funny for the note, but am at a loss on humor today. Apparently others here are as well today. Oh wait -- that's how most of them are anyhow. Unless it is being sarcastic, snarky and down right rude. :sexywink:

Has no one ever talked to a teenager before? I'm responding to a need. So many times throughout the year students come to me and say they have a great idea but they're too afraid to do it. One can try to teach confidence, but when that fails and I can't be there to do the talking for them, sometimes a little note in their pocket might help. This isn't a catch all note for every single situation, every single student. It's for shy kids that are easily intimidated when they're photographing at a park and a kid runs into their shot and a parent gets mad. If they want to photograph someone's house, the exterior, because they love the architecture but are too nervous to knock on the door and ask for permission.

Or when they're photographing downtown and someone, who isn't even in the shot, stops them and asks them what they think they're doing, whether or not it's illegal. Or has everyone on this forum never been questioned for why they're photographing something? The funny situations, the awkward situations, whatever? I know I've been stopped tons of times. While I've never been the most outgoing, I've been confident, and able to speak for myself. Not everyone is like that.

Well, provide a letter all you want. You're doing more of a disservice to the children than anything.

I'm not telling you how to "teach a 14 year old kid how not to offend someone". You should be TEACHING the kids what their RIGHTS are. They don't have to answer to anyone if they're taking photos of people in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy. 14 year olds aren't stupid, teach them something useful and give THEM a voice to speak for themselves. Not a paper based cop out because they don't know what they're legally able to photograph without repercussions. If I were in your class, I'd probably just throw the note away. Just sayin'.

Tyler being an asshole again. rolf

you should be a law teacher.

Or when they're photographing downtown and someone, who isn't even in the shot, stops them and asks them what they think they're doing, whether or not it's illegal. Or has everyone on this forum never been questioned for why they're photographing something? The funny situations, the awkward situations, whatever? I know I've been stopped tons of times. While I've never been the most outgoing, I've been confident, and able to speak for myself. Not everyone is like that.

And you expect the people that have no idea how to speak for themselves, or what their rights are, to be photographers? Schools really need to implement a "Man the **** up" class if kids these days are not interested in their RIGHTS. Teach them what "expectation of privacy" is, and where it applies, along with telling them not to shoot government property and they'll be fine. Kids need to be more vocal now-a-days and actually stand up for themselves.

They're not photographers. They're kids who thought a semester of photography would be something better than study hall. Tell a kid a bunch of laws and it'll go in one ear and out the other when they don't care for more than a couple of months. But I guess you can teach them better than I can. Wanna come in for a week and tell them how to have balls? They will ignore you.

You're teaching them two things, instead of not teaching them anything by giving them a note to hand out.

A) Define: Expectation of privacy
B) Don't photograph govt. buildings.

It just sounds like you have a lack of faith in your students, and their ability to retain knowledge. That's why I expressed such disdain for your idea, and the fact that it's a huge cop out. I learned how to be assertive in "D.A.R.E." class in Junior High. I'm sure the students can re-purpose what they learned about assertion.

I've said my piece. Good luck with your mass produced apologetic notes. :thumbup:

You're right. I haven't taught them a single thing since they've walked through my door. When they come to me for help, I say, sorry, no, can't help you there. With anything. Ever again. Not even for fun or humor or quiet pocket reminders or anything. Really they take my class, I give them a camera and a roll of film and say FIGURE IT ALL OUT ON YOUR OWN, I'm only here for the coffee.

Most reactions

Back