Apple Aperture users?

ittybittypilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(very old MacbookPro, hence old Aperture 2).

I just got ahold of an old Aperture 2 which THANKFULLY is compatible with my old Macbook. This was recommended by other TPF member...whom I thank for the referral.

However, I cannot edit ANY photo. Not the samples, not my old jpgs, tiffs or anything. I double checked permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled Aperture, double checked I'm admin. Nothing works. Where I would edit the photo, everything is grayed out and it says "image loading"....and waiting overnight didn't help.

Ideas?

Sandy

I have no idea what your issues is but the latest version of aperture is 3.6 no longer supported but it don't stop me from using it on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with Sierra OS and it works perfect.One day I'm sure an update will break it but thus far it works great for all my editing needs.

If it don't work you may have to find something else as far as editing.What about Adobe light Room?

It's one word - Lightroom.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6

Lr 6 is the most recent version you can buy standalone.
Lr CC 2015, part of the Photography subscription below is a newer version - Lr 7.

Or you can sign up for Adobe's Photography subscription that's $9.99 a month ($119.88 a year) and get both Lightroom and the complete and professional grade Photoshop CC.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lightroom is not compatible with my old Mac. I can't even upgrade my OS or even the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.

I'm no where near ready to purchase a new computer. :-(

I thought Lightroom 3.6 would work with your older OS. It works with a 2011 iMac. Maybe find a hard copy from an on-line software discounter. Newer versions of LR will likely not run on your OS.

Lightroom 3 might. Aperture loaded fine, and I can import and move photos around, I just can't edit anything. I got it for $14 so it it doesn't work not not out much. I just am hoping not someone who still uses Aperture might know what the issue is.

I may need to try LR3 next. I want to shoot in RAW but until I solve my software issue, I'm stuck with jpg.

Well, I seem to have Aperture working intermittently. I tried importing an entire folder into the Aperture library while renaming it, and I can edit any photo there. But the single photo I imported seems "locked". Unsure of the difference.

I looked at the online LR and I sorta like it...going to keep playing with Aperture now that I can do something with it. Liking what I see so far!

Any Aperture users, I'd still love to hear from yah! :)

Well, I seem to have Aperture working intermittently. I tried importing an entire folder into the Aperture library while renaming it, and I can edit any photo there. But the single photo I imported seems "locked". Unsure of the difference.

I looked at the online LR and I sorta like it...going to keep playing with Aperture now that I can do something with it. Liking what I see so far!

Any Aperture users, I'd still love to hear from yah! :)
I'm not the one to ask, since I don't understand it myself, but if I were going to make a guess, I'd say Aperture is trying to access the reference file, which it does not have. There might be a setting that will identify your existing photographs as "reference files", thereby allowing editing.

The member who knows lots more than I is @TCampbell. I hope he will see this and answer your question.

Last edited:
Any Aperture users, I'd still love to hear from yah!
Did you receive a printed manual? If not, see if you can download one.

When you import your images, are they importing into the Aperture library? Can you see the thumbnails? Did Aperture create a new project for each group of imported photos? When importing from your camera, do the photos go directly to Aperture, or do they go to "photos"?

I am very disappointed that Apple no longer supports Aperture. The program worked very well and I had years of training on it. Aperture doesn't recognize my new Fuji files, so I have moved on to Iridient and Affinity.

Any Aperture users, I'd still love to hear from yah!
Did you receive a printed manual? If not, see if you can download one.

When you import your images, are they importing into the Aperture library? Can you see the thumbnails? Did Aperture create a new project for each group of imported photos? When importing from your camera, do the photos go directly to Aperture, or do they go to "photos"?

I'm having the photos from the camera import directly into Aperture for now. Still figuring out my own workflow. And recommendations? Pros/cons? Just playing for now. I'm really liking Aperture. Eventually I'll upgrade to a newer Mac but for now, this one works perfectly. I love that Macs still run after 10 years and regular laptops rarely survive 3-5. I stopped buying regular laptops...too disposable.

And I downloaded a user manual onto my iPad. Not the most user friendly manual....Honestly, after 10 years of not shooting anything, and having mostly film experience, I really have alot to learn and RE-learn with digital photography and this manual assumes I know everything. oi vay!

I am very disappointed that Apple no longer supports Aperture. The program worked very well and I had years of training on it. Aperture doesn't recognize my new Fuji files, so I have moved on to Iridient and Affinity.

I am as well. I'm thankful, however, that this Aperture 2 version is working well on my laptop (now that I am figuring out files and permission!). I'm not a professional, nor do I plan to be, so this version is more than I need to tweak some photos for personal use. But eventually I'll upgrade software/hardware. For now, I'd rather spend $$ on camera equipment and dog shows. :-D

Not the most user friendly manual....
EEEEGGGGZactly!

Very typical of Apple in that they have ASSUMED that everyone handles photographs in exactly the same way as their software engineers would if they actually handled photographs.

Anyway, I am quite satisfied with the editing results I get with Aperture. I have "learned" what little I know about it just by jumping in and trying stuff. I once called Apple support to ask a question before they announced that they would no longer support Aperture, and I spoke with a very helpful young man who was able to get this old dinosaur the answer to his question. I've been wondering if I need to think about swapping software sometime in the future, but I guess as long as Aperture is still doing what I need, then maybe I don't.

How is the editing going for you now? I usually do these things to almost all photographs that I intend to show people: Straighten, crop, white balance, exposure, curves, highlights and shadows, and a tiny bit of sharpening. It takes about 30 seconds at the most, but I don't feel the need to do every shot, just the "keepers".

Most reactions

Back