Apples

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just playing around with some natural light through a window and a black tee shirt.Shot with Nikon D3100 18-55 at 36mm 1/30 - f5 @ ISO3200.A usable image a ISO3200 from a inexpensive older technology Camera sensor is pretty darn good.

DSC_0002 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

Last edited:
You're underexposed by at least a half stop. While you haven't lost all the detail in your shadows, those on the far sides of the apples and those at the base are almost completely blocked in. When I took the image into photoshop, I noticed the black t-shirt needed to be a lot blacker...weird, but I've found very few non-reflective black fabrics that work well. Also, it appears you had some rather striking reflections that were either toned down by blurring, or some other method. I'd use two lights or one light and a good reflector with the primary pretty well diffused, allowing the light to bleed around the edges of the fruit and even a casual bleed at the base. Lighting fruit is much like lighting a person.

Oh, and a longer exposure instead of a higher ISO will render better detail.

The whole point was to use only available light from a single window across the room and push a Iso test up as high as I can.Funny about the blacks being light though,on my calibrated mac it's real dark.I did have shinny apple reflection I toned down just because it was a little annoying.I always appreciate C&C.

Last edited:
And this is a calibrated PC...oh well. Somehow in the reading, I missed the natural light point (oops), only picking up on the high ISO. Still, even then a longer exposure would be better to help retain detail in the shadows. The apples aren't going to move and in a short time frame as we are talking, the light won't change enough to worry over. I'd even consider scrimming the window and going even longer and perhaps still employing a reflector.

And this is a calibrated PC...oh well. Somehow in the reading, I missed the natural light point (oops), only picking up on the high ISO. Still, even then a longer exposure would be better to help retain detail in the shadows. The apples aren't going to move and in a short time frame as we are talking, the light won't change enough to worry over. I'd even consider scrimming the window and going even longer and perhaps still employing a reflector.
Haha unless I eat them up in a hurry.:D Thanks for the tips though.I really do want get some lighting toys down the road and try to learn how to use them.I have to take baby steps first though.

Most reactions

Back