apply preset on part of photo but not whole thing? Please help

ivorycolors

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I threw a preset on a photo but there's a girl in it that I want to keep without the preset...I want her to look the same as she did before I threw in the preset. Is there a brush preset for this or a way to achieve this without photoshop? I really need help with this. Thanks.

What program are you in? Usually you do it with layers and masking.

There are other editing applications other than Photoshop that can do what you want to do.

As mentioned any application that can do layers, make selections, make layer masks, or make custom brushes will work.

@KmH
@MRnats
I'm using lightroom. I've googled for brushes that can do this but no luck :/
Cause the preset made the whole pic purple..including the person in it. But I can't find a way to edit the person to look normal...as in no purple. You guys know of a tutorial that'll show how to do this type of thing?
I really appreciate you guys replying back with help.

Hard to drive a nail with a screwdriver.
Photoshop is designed to do this kind of work but Lightroom is not. I can think of three ways right off hand to do it with PS.

@dennybeall I guess i'll just have to get photoshop then. I wanted to find a way to do it without but I guess thats not possible it seems? Well thanks for the help man!

You can do a lot of adjustments in LR with the brush. You can't do curves but you can honestly get great results using a lot of different adjustments including color toning. I use the LR brush very often on backgrounds.

I believe the usefulness of LR is under estimated, particularly when it comes to masking. The same preset you use to apply on import, can be used locally with an adjustment brush. Just go to custom brush, select all the same settings you have in your preset and save those current settings as preset. Then locally brush your life away :). Automasking works pretty well, just use 1:1 to zoom in and adjust your brush sizes often.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Apply local adjustments

This is a new one I just learned (found).

@dennybeall I guess i'll just have to get photoshop then. I wanted to find a way to do it without but I guess thats not possible it seems? Well thanks for the help man!

The $9.99 for both programs for many is a great deal. However, don't run out and get PS if you haven't already. Depending on the version of LR you have, you may be able to do enough of what you want without PS.

@JacaRanda Dang thats the tutorial I needed. Looks like thats all I need to do: just make my own brush with the preset.
Thanks a lot for the help!

@JacaRanda Dang thats the tutorial I needed. Looks like thats all I need to do: just make my own brush with the preset.
Thanks a lot for the help!

You are very welcome. I hope others that responded will check them out also. PS is king, but LR gets better and better; made for photographers ;)

Most reactions

Back