applying as an assistant

will turner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So i have recently been looking for a full time assistant job, have applied to many 'studio assistant wanted' adverts but im not getting many responses, a couple of them said there setting up interviews and i have heard nothing since. so im thinking about taking my cv and maybe portfolio etc... and just going into the studios and asking, i know some areas where there are loads of studios so im going to visit them tomorrow. do you think this is a good idea? or will they see it as turning up unexpectedly?
To anyone who has been an assistant, what do you think the best way of asking is?

London UK?
The best way - and this works because I have had many students who have tried it - is to get the 'phone book and just ring everyone up. Say you want to be an assistant and you will do anything. Ask if you can come round and see them.
Expect to get 90% rejection so the more you do the better your chances. If you persevere you will find a job.
Don't turn up on the doorstep - if they are in they will most likely shut the door in your face.
If you are in London then you really must get in contact with The Association of Photographers
http://www.the-aop.org/
They used to be called AFAEP and are the nearest thing we have to a union. They work primarily with London photographers and used to work as a clearing house for assistants, even running an assistant scheme. They may still do one, but they will certainly be in the best position to give you help, support, advice and guidance.

thanks for the information, it says the AOP holds a free careers talk on the last Wednesday of each month so ill be sure to go to that! and i will try the phone book method.
thanks
will.

Most reactions

Back