Approach to selling photos to selling at a market

I'll throw in my 2 cents from years of doing art shows. Start small, dont overdo your inventory. Have one large showpiece print. And for your first several shows only focus on 8x10's and note cards (not cheap ones, good quality potentially hand assembled by you which can retail for $3.95 or so...better than cheap postcards as it reflects on your reputation and quality as an artist). They will be low cost so people can impulse buy and stay in line with the overall price point of your market. After doing this for a bit you will have a better idea of what your most popular images are (it might suprise you) and you can grow accordingly. Have fun!

No, Vistaprint isn't high quality, their postcards are average. Printing photo postcards from a pro lab will be a much higher cost. I guess I have lower standards for post cards considering the average price point for purchasing one is less than $1.

That's been my issue. I know of some print labs I can order postcards through, but they wouldn't be cost effective at all. Hard to get any of the stores I work with to carry postcards when the price I'd want is double what they are charging customers

small 3x5 prints from costco for 25 cents each then hand glue them to blank notecards from somewhere like michaels. Put into indavidual plastic bags for protection. Its a lot of work but looks great.

I'll throw in my 2 cents from years of doing art shows. Start small, dont overdo your inventory. Have one large showpiece print. And for your first several shows only focus on 8x10's and note cards (not cheap ones, good quality potentially hand assembled by you which can retail for $3.95 or so...better than cheap postcards as it reflects on your reputation and quality as an artist). They will be low cost so people can impulse buy and stay in line with the overall price point of your market. After doing this for a bit you will have a better idea of what your most popular images are (it might suprise you) and you can grow accordingly. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips! :)

No, Vistaprint isn't high quality, their postcards are average. Printing photo postcards from a pro lab will be a much higher cost. I guess I have lower standards for post cards considering the average price point for purchasing one is less than $1.

That's been my issue. I know of some print labs I can order postcards through, but they wouldn't be cost effective at all. Hard to get any of the stores I work with to carry postcards when the price I'd want is double what they are charging customers

small 3x5 prints from costco for 25 cents each then hand glue them to blank notecards from somewhere like michaels. Put into indavidual plastic bags for protection. Its a lot of work but looks great.

I'll look into it, thanks! :)

Costco? I've never printed there but isn't that like a Walgreens or CVS

Most reactions

Back