APS-C sensor on a smartphone.

jonnybaz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An APS-C sensor has a size of 25mm x 17mm approximately. A flagship smartphone such as the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra has dimensions of 78mm x 163mm approximately. Please design such a rectangle on paper. Why is it so difficult to integrate such a sensor on a flagship smartphone? My rugged smartphone weights 350 grams and it is usable, although heavy. Much heavier than a S22 Ultra. The surface of a lens that would cover all the sensor wouldn't be much bigger neither. Is it so impossible for companies to construct a bulkier version of a smartphone for photographers? What's your opinion?

Part of my devotion to my Ricoh GR II(APS-C sensor)is that it's mistaken for a smartphone for its LCD-only VF and ignored as a camera. Just saying...

It isn't the sensor, it is the LENS.
How THICK would the smartphone have to be to have a 35mm normal lens, or a 24mm wide angle lens?
Considering how much people put their cell phones into their pockets, I do not think they would appreciate a significant increase in the thickness.

It isn't the sensor, it is the LENS.
How THICK would the smartphone have to be to have a 35mm normal lens, or a 24mm wide angle lens?
Considering how much people put their cell phones into their pockets, I do not think they would appreciate a significant increase in the thickness.
Theoretically always speaking (cause we don't have the knowledge of manufacturers) maybe they could use same quality of the lens and just increase the surface of the sensor and the lens. Without putting additional glass. I think that the quality would still rise from the increase in the gathering light.

Theoretically always speaking (cause we don't have the knowledge of manufacturers) maybe they could use same quality of the lens and just increase the surface of the sensor and the lens. Without putting additional glass. I think that the quality would still rise from the increase in the gathering light.

Couple lens issues to consider
1 - A short FL lens for a cell phone camera = very WIDE angle lens for an APS-C camera. So you have to increase the focal length of the lens, to just have the same field of view as the lens on your cell phone camera.
2 - The image circle has to be BIGGER. If not, you are just going to have a tiny image in the center of the APS-C sensor, and most of the APS-C sensor would not be used.

Your also dealing with some unusual physics.

The neat thing about extreme fish eye lenses is that they have a sweet spot of near prefect focus in the center.

BUT, you not only have a DoF issue, but the mechanics of the necessary lens and focal point come into mind. Ergo depth of field.

Say you have an APC sensor on the phone itself and say a lens that is almost flat and bulges less than 1.5 mm beyond the basic frame of the phone. OK, yes with the right kind of physics and lens manipulation you can do it. the physics say you can.

The problem you will have is extreme distortion and a near non existent DoF because the focal point distance will literally be only a millimeter or less away from the sensor. Then you'll have light issues that would have to be digitally manipulated to create the correct exposure.

Not to say it cant be done, but I think honestly that with a frame size that large with such an incredibly narrow focal point, your asking for some highly unusual lens mechanics to do the job.

Plus you also have the issue of fingerprints and a highly susceptible lens to scratches, smudges and other issues that would destroy the IQ.

Largest image sensor I've seen on a smartphone is nearly 1-inch large.

Most reactions

Back