aps or 4/3?

Chine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

I'm going to sell my canon 1100d and my tamron 17-50 to buy a mirrorless, because I would a machine that I can always get with me.

Said this, I'm evaluating three possibility: Sony a6000, Olympus om-d e-m10 and Panasonic lumix gx7.

I'll use it for street ph, reportage and landscape (especially urban and industrial landscape). I'm also interesting in video quality.

Somebody through you could tell me his experience with these cameras?

If you want smaller, the m43 options are more compact wit a great collection of lens options. I like the Olympus cameras but don't do video, and believe Panasonic is way ahead with video options and better codecs etc.

There is a street photo club near where I live, the guy who started it swears by his gx7

If you want smaller, the m43 options are more compact wit a great collection of lens options. I like the Olympus cameras but don't do video, and believe Panasonic is way ahead with video options and better codecs etc.

There is a street photo club near where I live, the guy who started it swears by his gx7

so, is Panasonic better than Olympus to make video?

Panasonic cameras are generally better than Olympus on video side of things

ok, thank you

very useful

For me if a camera isn't fit in my pocket it's not small. Carrying something like an Olympus OMD-EM-10 is about the same as carrying a Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4s to me.

For me if a camera isn't fit in my pocket it's not small. Carrying something like an Olympus OMD-EM-10 is about the same as carrying a Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4s to me.

Not just the same in my opinion, depends of the lens you use

I both agree and disagree.
Agree, because indeed carrying one of these mirrorless cameras is not really that easy. It usually requires a bag, at least if one wants to carry more than one lens. Even with just one lens, it won't fit in a pocket, so one still needs to carry it externally somehow, e.g. with a wrist strap. I find that it gets in the way too much. Sometimes I just take my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a prime lens on a BlackRapid sling strap, which is nice but still not as easy as a pocketable camera.
Disagree, because weight is a big factor for many, myself included. My entire kit probably weighs not much more than a Canon EOS-1D X or Nikon D4s alone.

For the OP: I have to agree with Bebulamar about your situation. I'm not sure any of these cameras will ever be small enough to be carried and taken everywhere at all times. Consider a Sony RX100-series camera for that. (Latest version is the RX100 IV, but the other three are very good as well.)

I both agree and disagree.
Agree, because indeed carrying one of these mirrorless cameras is not really that easy. It usually requires a bag, at least if one wants to carry more than one lens. Even with just one lens, it won't fit in a pocket, so one still needs to carry it externally somehow, e.g. with a wrist strap. I find that it gets in the way too much. Sometimes I just take my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a prime lens on a BlackRapid sling strap, which is nice but still not as easy as a pocketable camera.
Disagree, because weight is a big factor for many, myself included. My entire kit probably weighs not much more than a Canon EOS-1D X or Nikon D4s alone.

For the OP: I have to agree with Bebulamar about your situation. I'm not sure any of these cameras will ever be small enough to be carried and taken everywhere at all times. Consider a Sony RX100-series camera for that. (Latest version is the RX100 IV, but the other three are very good as well.)

I considered in the past a high level compact camera, I bought a Panasonic lf1 and I give back it immediately. It was very smart, like smartphone I could put it in my pocket, but It was limited in its function. Now, I want a middle level camera, with the possibility to enlarge the lens park. Infact I chose sony a6000. Maybe in the future I'll buy a super compact camera, but is not for me now.

Thank you all for the advices.

yes, go small -- it's not "pocket size" unless it fits in your shirt pocket

c w Flickr - Photo Sharing

APS-C image sensor- 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor. 3:2 aspect ratio, rectangular image.
4/3 image sensor- smaller than APS-C, so it has a 2x crop factor, and a 4:3 aspect ratio, almost square image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back