Aputre ISO and infintiy focus all controling focus?

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can confirm a point about Apature size and Depth of field

A large Apature number = smaller apature and a large or long depth of field?

This means on my lens if the max setting is 22 I will get max depth of field on that shot.

So if that is correct, do I need to worry about focusing when using this apature size?

If I set 22 on the lens and infinity focus will I get it all in sharp focus?

If I set 3.5 on the lens the depth of field will be much smaller or shallow and therefore the focus point is critical?

true: a large aperture number/stop means a small opening and therefore large depth of field.

false: maximum aperture stop means everything is in focus automatically.
This really depends on what scene you try to capture. you don't really get an infinite depth of field.

also sharpness is limited if you go to too large aperture stops as diffraction ruins your sharpness. with an aperture stop around 8 you never have to worry about diffraction, if you go to 22 you will.

OK, can't wait to get my hands on aDSLR and then I can play with all these settings and see the results before I forget what I had done!!

Hair Bear said:
OK, can't wait to get my hands on aDSLR and then I can play with all these settings and see the results before I forget what I had done!!

Using larger apertures can be fun, play a bit with them as limited depth of field can add a lot of value to some images.

BTW, small apertures will also nicely focus the dirt and dust on your camera's sensor ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back