Aquarium shot gone awry

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't understand what happened on this shot. I could see at the time that this was happening but I didn't know how to fix it. I didn't have this issue the last time we were there and I was using a simple point and shoot. Part of it is the thickness of the glass. What do I adjust when taking this shot to not get this effect? I got what could have been a couple of cool snapshots of the whale playing with a ring too, but they're all like this.

$IMG_4201a.jpg

When I was taking shots with my point and shoot, while they aren't as good of shots, they don't have this funkiness with the glass going on. What's the difference?
$DSCF1156crop.jpg

I'm going to assume it relates to the angle of light at which the ambient light is striking the glass and the angle at which the camera is pointing at the glass. A polarizing filter could reduce this greatly.

One of my favorite ways to shoot through glass, is by using a big rubber screw-on lens hood... that I can place up against glass! Totally eliminates all reflection! Amazon.com: Fotodiox 3-Section Rubber Lens Hood, Sun Shade, 77mm: Camera & Photo

That or a good CPL, as John mentioned above!

It does look like the DSLR shot is pretty much dead on at the glass (high reflectivity probability) while the P&S shot is obviously at an extreme angle. Makes a big difference!

You might want to read this book... covers this very well! Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting: Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: 9780240812250: Amazon.com: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back