Arboretum Walk (Now armed with the 55-250mm!), CC Welcome :)

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Update: Well, I've decided to do the unthinkable, I have changed my photos to being OK to edit. So hopefully CC might be easier for anyone who wants to show me a thing or two :hug::

Hey TPF'rs!

So I got my Canon 55-250mm IS in the mail over the weekend and decided to test it out today during a break in the rain. Lighting wasn't great, shifting from dark and murky, to bright as can be, but it provided some interesting opportunities. My focus was getting to know the lens, being sure to keep my shutter speed at least faster than 1/focal length since I tend to forget that guideline and was shooting hand-held. Also I tried keeping the focus on the head/eyes. Anyways, I thought I'd post up a couple photos for general comments and CC. All are straight out of the camera as I havent had time to post-process.

Also, I apologize if 5 photos is a bit much, but I'm not looking for an essay of CC either ;)

1. This guy was hanging out in the shade, and I thought it was interesting with the backlit background as the sun passed behind the clouds. I know its not that creative compositionally, but I liked it well enough.
IMG_1676.jpg

2. My favorite photo of the day. The sun was a little bright on his left side, but overall I just liked the feel of the photo.
IMG_1695.jpg

3. I'm not too sure about this one personally. I like the lighting, but I don't get the same "squirrel" feeling from it that I do #2. Still, I just can't help myself but imagine the little guy saying "Who, me?"
IMG_1682.jpg

4. This was my first attempt at any sort of "macro" with the lens.
IMG_1701.jpg

5. Again, I really don't know what to make of it. One minute I like this one, another I don't. What do you think?
P.S: Its a student napping on the grass (we all do), not a homeless person.
IMG_1734.jpg

As always, I appreciate any and all CC ;)
If you want EXIF, just let me know, I figured the post was already long enough as it is.

Last edited:
dayum.. what am I doing living where we have a foot of snow on the ground.... JEALOUS! I haven't seen a bug in months!

dayum.. what am I doing living where we have a foot of snow on the ground.... JEALOUS! I haven't seen a bug in months!

I'd take snow over rain! Head out for a day of snowboarding and photographing some backcountry!

I want to hear why you think #1 is good compositionally?

On #4, IS does not stablize a moving subject, just a moving camera. So unless you were swaying back and forth to match the bush, IS had did not compensate for the wind. I think the photos are good. #5 doesn't really do much for me.

I want to hear why you think #1 is good compositionally?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, or maybe you misread mine as saying that I thought it was good compositionally? I said before that I'm not a huge fan of the composition. I like the bird on the post, and I like the oof posts in the foreground and background, but it just doesn't "click" with me for whatever reason. Something I suspect a little more light would have remedied, still, I don't hate it or I wouldnt have posted it ;)

On #4, IS does not stablize a moving subject, just a moving camera. So unless you were swaying back and forth to match the bush, IS had did not compensate for the wind. I think the photos are good. #5 doesn't really do much for me.

Noted and original post edited to reflect it. I suppose I was just happy to not see as much camera shake as normal.

Also, thanks for the CC! I'm still stuck jumping between boats on #5, a little PP might help it along, we'll see.

Last edited:
Ooops mine was a typo I meant why do you think it isn't :D You said it wasn't a creative composition, but I find it interesting. I do think a little bit of lightness would help, but the bird is framed nicely and the DOF is great :D That one and 4 are my favorites, the colors in 4 are just lovely.

Ooops mine was a typo I meant why do you think it isn't :D You said it wasn't a creative composition, but I find it interesting. I do think a little bit of lightness would help, but the bird is framed nicely and the DOF is great :D That one and 4 are my favorites, the colors in 4 are just lovely.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Perhaps I got a bit too caught up in "technical" details in my head, I appreciate the kind words and I'm proud to say I have a photo Bossy likes! ;)

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Perhaps I got a bit too caught up in "technical" details in my head, I appreciate the kind words and I'm proud to say I have a photo Bossy likes! ;)

haha I'm not sure how to feel about that! I think you'll easily be able to pull the darks up though.
Waah I'm special, I see you already did. Lovely <3

No worries, its a complement! Its my new years resolution for 2012 to be able to hold up one of my photos in front of a pro and have them say its either A) decent, or B) good. If I can get passing marks from members of the forums, especially some of the more discerning ones, then I'm happy to be making progress!

As for the darks, I'll sit down sometime with CS5 and see what I can do :)

Before I say anything, I would like to claim I'm still a beginner so I'm just going by what looks right with me...

I really like your squirrel pictures! Nice gleam in the eyes and looks good on the exposure.

The blue bird looks kinda underexposed, but maybe its my monitor.

And the flower picture seems a bit over exposed on the white petals.

I really like the squirrel shots, I'm hoping to get a few with the new telephoto.

Before I say anything, I would like to claim I'm still a beginner so I'm just going by what looks right with me...

I really like your squirrel pictures! Nice gleam in the eyes and looks good on the exposure.

The blue bird looks kinda underexposed, but maybe its my monitor.

And the flower picture seems a bit over exposed on the white petals.

Well taken! The bird was in shadow, so it is a bit darker, I'll be working on it in PP to take care of that. As for the flower, it could probably use some post as well :)

Most reactions

Back