Arca Swiss WHAT ??

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to rent a long lens, along with a Gimbel Head ............. The rental place stats that the Gimbal accepts only "Arca-Swiss Compatable plates" ... ?? I have a Vanguard SBH-300 Ball Head - Nowhere canI find if the plate is compatable... I've seen that term before - what is an Arca Swiss plate anyway?

thanks,

r

I would think that if the rental place offers the Gimbal head and lenses then they should have some plates to mate the two together in their order system. Make sure you get the right plate for the lens itself (since the shape of the plate differs for different lenses/tripod collar designs.).

The main bonus is that the Arca Swiss plates have a lip on the plate itself so that the camera/collar doesn't rotate around its screw thread (something that can easily happen with regular quick release plates - especially if you've a heavy setup). The other bonus is that the design of the plate allows the lens to slide back and forward on the plate mount on the Gimbal head - this allows you to weight the setup (there is a clip to prevent it sliding all the way out) so that its equally balanced with the camera attached.

Doesn't the lens come with an Arca plate? Why does your ball head come into this?

Doesn't the lens come with an Arca plate? Why does your ball head come into this?

The lens only has a tripod mount - you have to use your own plates. I currently hv a Vanguard plate on the camera and it has the "V-Groove" so I thought it'd be OK on an Arca-Swiss type head. It doesn't, but the rental place has one to rent for just a couple of bucks..

r

Most reactions

New Topics

Back