Archiving photos

Lilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just found this board and have a question about preserving older photos. I am a novice both to photography and to the board so please forgive me for my ignorance.

I have several albums of old family photos which I have begun digitizing in order to distribute copies to family members. The question is, what do I do to best preserve the originals?

These photos date from the 1960s-70s, both color and b&w. They were original stored in albums in plastic sleeves but the albums are now falling apart. Many of the photos are faded, warped, or discolored. Should I put them back into archival-quality albums or is there a better way to store them? They will not have to be viewed very often.

Thanks very much for your help.

phakimata

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hakimata.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The way I store all my images is as follows:
I create folders with the name consisting of year-month-date-"topic". In each folder the image names will have the file number, also preceded by year-month-date.
This seems to be the best way to archive images, especially when you have thousands of images. The reason is that people tend to remember around what time they did a certain shoot, and this way it becomes easier to narrow down where the image is stored.
In addition what I do, is that all my files are stored as DNG and JPEGs (of course with identical names, in the same folder). Images that are created for email or web I give the same name, but I add an "s" at the end for "small".

I hope this is of help.

Cheers,
Paul.

ann

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i would suggest you take the orginals and put them in an archival box with a piece of archival tissue between each photo. put them away in a cool dark location, and away from water.

check lightimpressions for the archival supplies.

Most reactions